Best Material for Wrapping/Cladding?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Alacoyote

Best Material for Wrapping/Cladding?

#1 Post by Alacoyote »

After many (almost obsessive) visits to this and its sister website, along with other research, I've finally found a reputable installation company and have all but decided on purchasing Simonton 5500's, with Superspacer, 1" glass pack and reinforced meeting rail upgrades for my project.

One new issue arose: I asked the sales rep what material they used for wrapping/cladding. He said they can use either powder-coat aluminum or vinyl, my choice (no price difference that I'm aware of). He recommended the powder coat aluminum as holding its color better (I'm in Birmingham, AL) and because when they extrude it, they have better success creating a decorative bead in it that more closely resembles the brick mould that it's covering.

Any thoughts on the soundness of his recommendation? (Or are you going to tell me that no reputable installation company would have given this advice??? :( )

Thanks again to Randy and all the experienced folks who have already contributed greatly to my decisionmaking process!

Scott1q1

#2 Post by Scott1q1 »

The aluminum coil most companies use comes in either a flat painted finish (will normally say poly on the box) or with a sort of wood grain looking thin coat of vinyl ( will have pvc on the box).

I think they do have a purely vinyl coil product but I'm not sure how well that would hold up in the south.

I think the pvc is a nicer looking product, and more widely used.