Brothers Home Improvement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lruby

Brothers Home Improvement windows

#1 Post by lruby »

We've been getting estimates on replacement vinyl windows for about a month now. We're currently talking to Brothers Home Improvement and so far I like them the best as far as a contractor/company goes. But we now have a dilemma on the windows. I was set on going with Simonton 7300s, but Brothers also makes their own windows.

We were able to go into the Brothers warehouse area at their showroom today where they currently have many windows and sliding glass doors from their own factory, and from Simonton, that are waiting to be installed. So we were able to do a pretty good comparison. The Brothers windows do seem to be much sturdier in their construction than the Simontons. I've done a lot of checking on the NFRC and AAMA web sites to verify their ratings. They have commercial and light commercial AAMA rating on their windows. I really like them, but obviously have concerns about the risk we would be taking of a family owned business disappearing and leaving us with no warranty. They've had their California State contractor's license for 12 years and have a very clean record with the BBB. No real price difference between their windows and Simonton. I have a full quote with both of them on it. SuperSpacers, argon, Low-E 170 on both. The Brothers windows also include Cardinal's Easy Clean glass. Does anyone know anything, good or bad, about these windows? Any opinions?

Lisa

kris

#2 Post by kris »

brothers window is made in reno, nevada. has to have a capillary tube to equalize insulated glass pressure between reno altitude and bay area. they advertise simonton in all their paper ads. ask to go to a jobsite and see what a production window looks like compared to a showroom sample. i've been told there is a difference.

lruby

#3 Post by lruby »

Thanks for the info. I knew they were built in Reno. I hadn't thought about the capillary tube issue. I'll ask about that. Not sure what the altitudes are that have to be crossed to get from Reno to San Diego (that's where I am).

I was able to see the actual production windows as we were able to look at many that were sitting in the storage area waiting to be installed. I thought they looked better than the Simontons. They had both in the storage area. We also did a number of drive-bys on houses they have done-both Simonton and Brothers. Today I asked for a phone reference for someone that has their brand.

Lisa