Need opinions on Capillary Tubes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lruby

Need opinions on Capillary Tubes

#1 Post by lruby »

Hi,

We're still trying to decide what windows we want to buy. As I put in another post we were set on Simonton, until we saw the windows Brothers Home Improvement builds. Their frames are much sturdier than the Simonton.

Thanks to the response I received from another post I submitted, I have now verified that Brothers ships their windows with capillary tubes. They manufacture in Reno which is around 4000 feet and many of their windows are installed at sea level or just a little higher. We're at about 500 feet. I've read what I can find on the tubes. I know we won't want to bother paying for argon if we go with Brothers, as my current understanding is that it will leak out of the tubes.

My questions are:
- With the climate we have in San Diego are we likely to notice any real difference not having argon? (Winter night time temperatures average low 40s, sometimes drops into 30s, summers are low 80s to mid 90s and ocassionally over 100. We do get mid to late afternoon sun shining directly into the windows on one side of our house.)

- Are there any other negatives to having capillary tubes? Cardinal has a tech bulletin that says they shouldn't cause any early failures.

Thank you.

Lisa

jhopkins

Replacement windows

#2 Post by jhopkins »

I would recommened Milgard for the best vinyl window out on the market.

Dan

#3 Post by Dan »

Lisa,

My company used capillary tubes in all of our windows until 2001 without a glass failure. Since 2001 we have been using Super Spacer with great success. As long as the company is using capillary tubes and not breather tubes I would feel confident in the glass lasting a very long time.

FYI - a breather tube is a larger diameter tube that must be crimped after the glass arrives at the final destination. Breather tubes will allow moisture vapor to enter the sealed cavity between the glass.

Dan

lruby

#4 Post by lruby »

Thanks Dan. One of the things I read about capillary tubes is that they shouldn't be installed in windows that will be in high humidity areas as water molecules can pass through them. San Diego is a relatively dry area, but our humidity levels often rise quite a bit at night and in the early morning and we get fog quite often. Do you think there is any risk of moisture getting into inter-glass space with the capillary tubes?

Your comment about not using capillary tubes after switching to Super Spacers is interesting. Brothers does use Super Spacers.

Lisa

kris

#5 Post by kris »

any Anlin dealers in the San Diego area? Brothers was an Anlin dealer until they decided to fab their own window in 2002 or 2003. anlin's bbb record date s back to 1971. You might want to look at Anlin before you make a decision
www.Anlin.com

Dan

#6 Post by Dan »

Lisa,

We are in Cincinnati and our humidity levels are usually in the 90% area and did not have a problems when we used capillary tubes. When we switched to Super Spacer we were pretty much convinced that we no longer needed the tubes for our windows.

Dan

lruby

#7 Post by lruby »

Dan,

I'm a bit confused. I don't understand what the type of spacer has to do with the use of capillary tubes. My understanding is that capillary tubes are used to prevent windows from blowing out when they are manufactured at low altitude and installed, or have to travel through, high altitudes. In my case it's the opposite. The windows would be manufactured at a higher altitude than where they would be installed, so I assume they use the tubes to prevent the windows from imploding. Why would a change in spacer technology change the need for the tubes in this scenario? I know the Super Spacer might allow the windows to expand and contract a little easier, but it seems there would still be a need for pressure equalization. Otherwise I would think you would have bowed, or concave windows, or they could actually break.

Lisa