Harvey windows vs Home depot-which would be best in NE Help!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nelady

Harvey windows vs Home depot-which would be best in NE Help!

#1 Post by nelady »

I live in Massachusetts in a 165 yr. old house that costs a fortune to heat, primarily because of the old windows.
I know absolutely nothing about windows. I had a quote given to me several years ago that I thought was outrageous and as sexest as it sounds, I felt that because I was a woman I was being ripped off, so I did not have the work done at the time. I later found out that the quote was a little over double what other contractors were getting.
Last year I found a wonderful contractor who does great work, (when you can get him.)He did not show up until December so, I had him replace only one window. He said he would only do the job if I used Harvey windows. It was costly, but I think within the high range.
I have been waiting for a year for him to have time to put the 26 remaining windows in.
Because I have so many, I have been trying to find reasonably priced and yet energy efficient windows, rather than go with the Harvey. If he will not use another window, then I will go with another contractor, but only if there is a comparable window out there.
I am looking for double hung vinyl replacement windows with screens,and that open in for easy cleaning. I would also like to know if I need storm windows too, or if just the window replacement will be enough to save energy. Thank anyone in advance for any information.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

A good vinyl window won't need a storm window added on. The minimal increase in energy efficiency of a storm won't outweigh he added cost/bulk, and hassle when cleaning, in my opinion. If you want a mid-priced good quality window, consider the Simonton 5500. You should be able to get a basic 5500 double-hung without options installed for $375-500 or so, depending on your location and install complexity. Based on the brands available in your area, there are probably other good options since there is lots of competition in the window industry. What other brands do you see for sale in the yellow pages, for example?

nelady

Thank you for the info

#3 Post by nelady »

Thanks Infosponge,
I looked in the yellow pages and their are several contractors listed, but I already have one. Champion and Newpro are listed, but I haven't heard very good things about either company.
Precision , Sears and Marvin are also listed. I will look at Marvin and Precision on the net. I haven't seen anyone in the area that advertises the window you suggested, but I will call around.
Thank you also for the storm window information. I would rather just have the vinyl replacement installed as long as it will still save energy.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

Marvin only produces wood windows, I believe. I don't know much about Precision windows, so I can't help there. You might call a building supply store or lumber yard or two and check what vinyl/fiberglass brands they sell as well. Good luck!

usmarine0352

#5 Post by usmarine0352 »

Marvin does make Fiberglass windows. There called "Integrity" and the material is called "Ultrex."

http://www.infinitywindows.com/?page=Ultrex

InfoSponge

#6 Post by InfoSponge »

You are right about Marvin - I forgot about the Integrity/Infinity lines (which I've actually seen and actually like fairly well). That said, I don't believe they make any vinyl windows, if that is what you are limiting yourself to.

roofingun

harvey windows

#7 Post by roofingun »

Check with the BBB.For lic,ins certified contractors in your area.
Harvey is running a special on harvey classics low-e /argon windows
8-12 windows $75.00 rebate,13-20 $125.00 and 21 or more windows $250.00 rebate. And if you heat by gas, you can get a $10.00 rebate
per window.