Vinyl replacement questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cmurp

Vinyl replacement questions

#1 Post by cmurp »

Sorry if this post is redundant but I have questions. I'm replacing thirty two year old original builder grade wood windows. I have eighteen windows altogether. 16 Double Hung, 1 picture window(44X59) and 1 bay window(56x90). The double hung are varying sizes. I'm getting 3 estimates. I received an estimate from Home Depot. He broke it into different options. He quoted me a total of $8967.00 for the 16 Double Hung and one picture window installed. This was their 6500 series window which is their best. I guess its a private labeled Simonton window based on other posts I've read. Install includes outside PVC capping. The Bay window quote was for $3018.00 installed. Bay window with casement flankers with 45 degree folding handles. Is this a decent quote? Their warranty seems pretty good. Pretty much lifetime on everything. I know they use sub contractors and I have had good experiences with their subs before. The second estimate will be through Empire Today. Haven't received it yet. Has anyone had any experiences with either company? Thanks for reading this wordy post.

cmurp

Alside vs. Simonton

#2 Post by cmurp »

Ok, I'm updating myself. I received a quote from Empire-Today. They quoted me on two of their windows. They get their windows from Alside. Their "better" window was double paned with lowE and Argon. Their "best window had the same frame/Sash etc. but with triple pane. The closest I can tell is the double pane window is close to Alside's Ultramaxx. The Home depot is a Simonton 5500 Reflections series. Is one better than the other to justify the $2000.00 higher price for the Alside Window through Empire Today? Thanks