help with andersen permashield

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jrm

help with andersen permashield

#1 Post by jrm »

I've got an 8-foot andersen sliding glass door (I think 200 series permashield) that I inherited when I bought my house a year ago. There is a ton of heat coming through the door, which gets alot of direct afternnon sun. The difference in heat compared to my new triple-panes on the same wall is like night and day. questions:

1) Is there any way to find out if I have low e-glass or not? according to andersen's web site, they have double pane tempered as well as double pane tempereed with Low E. The only identifying marks I can see on the IG are from cadinal. should I look elsewhere for some type of serial number?

2) If its not low-e, can the IG be changed or do I need a whole new unit? Framework and sliding tracks appear in good condition.

3) If I replace the doors, can I put another manufacturer's doors on the same track or do I need to stick with andersen vs. replacing the whole frame?

thanks.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

For sliding doors, you can generally replace just the glass. I'd contact a local Andersen dealer and get the cost of replacing just the glass, and then the whole panel to compare (if they will offer both options). It doesn't sound like you have LowE on the door, but it is hard to tell, since your triple pane glass probably has two lowe surfaces. Are there any other faint markings in the glass corners besides the Cardinal brand? If you lift the sliding panel out, is there more information from Andersen on the top or bottom of the panel? You can't generally substitute sliding panels from other brands to put them into your existing tracks.