Your Opinion On a Quote for Schuco Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bmpamatat

Your Opinion On a Quote for Schuco Windows

#1 Post by bmpamatat »

I received a quote for 17 Schuco's (13 Schuco 4000 Double Hung, 2 smaller double hungs, and 2 sliders in the kitchen). Based on the quote the cost is approximately $611 per window installed. I also received a quote for Alside Ultra Max which came in at about $382 per window. I am sold on the Schuco, but I was wondering what input some of you would have on if you think I will have any luck getting the Schuco's for closer to $525 per window? Siding and Roof are also part of the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You didn't say whether the quote was for triple glazing, what type windows are coming out, and what color (or woodgrain) they are going to be. Those options can effect price quite a bit. Even without any of these options, your quote is below the national average for Schuco's from what I have been able to gather from these forums the last couple years.

I am a Schuco dealer and don't use fake price drops to get sales and I don't lower my prices unless the scope of the bid is lowered. If you offered me less I would have to give you a polite no and then see what I could do with maybe doing less windows, dropping options or switching you to a lower priced brand.
More and more window contractors are adopting this method of doing business instead of acting like they are high pressure used car salesmen.
Whether your dealer will budge on his pricing is up to him and depends on how he does business.

bmpamatat

#3 Post by bmpamatat »

I assume the color is white. The windows coming out are the originals on the house that was built in 1960. I believe he said it included triple glazing, but I will be sure to double check this. I appreciate your candor and I will let you know how I do with getting him down some. Again there is siding and a roof also involved so I'm hoping he can package his deal 10-15% better than his initial offer or include more features/options. We'll see.

thegrandwazoo

What should I pay?

#4 Post by thegrandwazoo »

Dear bmpamatat

In any decision making process it would be wise to research first, gather whatever imperial data from reliable sources as you are able. In the case of windows, NFRC.ORG is a great starting point, in that they offer unbiased information based on physical and highly technical tests for the sole purpose of informing consumers so they can make better fenestration investments.

What one company charges compared to another is not an arbitrary or altruist structure. Companies are in business to make money. Unfortunately the Home Remodeling business has been tainted over the years mainly by hit and run contractors who don’t charge enough for their wares and soon find themselves fiscally impotent because they left out several factors while setting their price. It’s only a matter of time that these low bidders are searching for a chair when the music stops and the only comfort zone they have is the last group of consumers they sold. Inevitably they end up getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop, often times they lose deposits or end with a job half finished and a phone number that’s disconnected.

Reliable Home Remodelers are expensive; there is no way around that. There is no cheap alternative to quality, not just in the product but in the organization that represents it.

When it comes to sales tactics Home Improvement Sales, those who are reputable, have some of the best, as they should. Their job is to get you involved in their product for several reasons. First and foremost, this is how they earn a living. Next is to keep you, the consumer, from being ripped off or sold a lesser quality product that is being offered by the “low bidderâ€

homeowner

#5 Post by homeowner »

im not sure more money means better. i think prices are arbitrary in that most business charges what the market will bear, as costs become more known, prices come down.

when i bought windows, a company i would have liked to have used was my second highest bid. they are local to my state, big, reputable. they wanted $300 more per window than company i used, same product. their response: they pay installers more, do better more complete work. they wanted over $600 a hole. last week they began a daily newspaper add. any window $169 installed. prolly a lesser window, but how do they explain the labor costs. they said my company likely paid installers little. where did they cut costs? i think they are having trouble now with inflated labor costs.

thegrandwazoo

Au contraire, mon frere

#6 Post by thegrandwazoo »

First off, always be leery of any company regardless of reputation or longevity when they place a number in their ad other than their phone number.

These ads are 100% deceptive. Commonly what’s done is a low number is placed in an ad to entice, catch your eye. The subterfuge lasts only a second to the trained eye once you know what to look for.

Here are the most common:

• Money offered for trade-ins. This is just absurd. There are companies out there that would lead you to believe that your old window they hope to replace has some intrinsic value and they are willing to offer some monetary remuneration for it. Pure hogwash! Your old windows, regardless of how well kept they may be are going to one place and one place only. A dumpster! Old storm windows do have some minor value but solely as scrap. These are just some perks, if you will that the installer, if he/she is so inclined can gather up for a monthly trip to the local junk yard, however with the price of scrap aluminum vs. the cost of gas, this trip is becoming less and less worthwhile.
• A price for a window, usually a low one. $169, $199, pick your favorite number wherein the last 2 digits are 99. A closer look will reveal this price is only good for windows up to 62 united inches. For those who don’t know what united inches are, (Width + Height) a 62 UI windows isn’t big enough to fit into the smallest of bathrooms.
• The other is a disclaimer on a particular model when a low price is advertised. What does model 100 or any other number for that matter mean to John Q. Public? It’s just another ruse to make their phone ring.
• My all time favorite is ads that read, Houses Wanted. Talk about Caveat emptor, you best beware. These ads claim they are looking for 100 houses for either a special promotion or, now get this, last years window model, as if manufactures release windows each model years like automobiles.

Here is what you should look for. Be sure there is a valid address in the ad, a place where you can actually go see their facility. Not a P.O. Box. Be careful here as well because outside vendors other than the US Postal Service offer what appear to be valid addresses but are merely glorified P.O. boxes. If the word Suite appears in the ad, it may be valid, but chances are it’s worth a drive by to make sure.

Their NJ License number, under the new this number must appear in all advertisements of any kinds.

Anther thing to look for is multiple phone numbers often times delineated by counties giving the illusion that they have offices in each area they list. These are RCF numbers, or Remote Call Forwarding numbers that all ring at one location.