Gorell Installation Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bnanln

Gorell Installation Question

#1 Post by bnanln »

I recently had 21- Gorell 5150 windows professionally installed in Eastern NC. My home is 75 years old, wood siding, and in great shape. We replaced the old weighted sash type windows and aluminum storm windows. They did a very nice job and trimed out windows with vinyl coated aluminum cut into the wood siding. I have 2- questions.
A) I've noticed a bow in the sash on a few windows. About 1/4" middle down to the end. You can really see it on the inside bottom trim piece. The window still seems to seal when shut. I pointed this out to the installer and he just said you have that with replacements in older homes.
B) I remember during install, before trim was installed, seeing pieces of blue foam board under center of new window. These were about 18" long, 1/2" thick, 2- pieces stacked under center of window frame, and didn't span full width of window frame. I'm wondering if the windows didn't fit properly, they supported improperly, and this could cause the bow?
Is there someone familiar with retro-fit installations that can tell me if this
may be a problem?

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

Do not fool around- call their service dept.
A bowed window sash means there is alot of pressure at the locks and meeting rail. It will undoubtedly get worse.
This has been a problem in the industry for years and the installers and manufacturers will probably tell you to wait a while as the weatherstripping needs to seat itself properly.
A well made window and properly installed (plumb, level and square) should lock fairly easily- a bowed sash means this is not the case.
It is hard to say without looking at it if it is a manufacture or install issue.
I will say I was not terribly impressed with the rigidity of the Gorell frames/sashes.

XSleeper

#3 Post by XSleeper »

What exactly is bowed? Is it the sash? Or is it the master frame? One thing I've noticed with Gorell 5100 series windows is that the front edge of the sill has a tendency to bow up unless the installers install a screw in the center of the window sill and plug the hole. Interestingly, I've only noticed it on the outside of the window where the screen meets the sill. The inside edge of the master frame on bottom seems to sit flat.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

XSleeper, how do you plug the hole in the sill? I'm not an installer, but I've never let my guys drill holes in the sill of a window for fear of water penetration and the resulting wood rot and mold.

windowrep

#5 Post by windowrep »

never ever run a screw through the sill of a window.

XSleeper

#6 Post by XSleeper »

Randy,

you drill a 3/8" hole through the top layer of the master frame. You predrill an 1/8" pilot hole for the screw. You use a stainless steel screw that won't rust. After it's installed you cover the head of the screw with silicone. Then you install a 3/8 vinyl plug that matches to color of the vinyl.

It's good to be concerned about drilling holes in the sills of windows because it might possibly interfere with the drainage/weep holes so you would need to make sure that any holes you drill and plug are factory approved installation methods.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Gorell 5100 window x-sleeper is talking about doing this to has no drainage through the sill and thus has no weep holes.
It is a multichambered dedicated sill. If he puts sealant on the screw, then fills the hole with sealant before putting the plug in, his method is just fine and should cause no problems in the future.

On the other hand, if you put a screw through a window sill that has snap-ins on the sill, where the interior of the sill is used for drainage, you will most definitely have problems.

TarheelGrad1998

#8 Post by TarheelGrad1998 »

I also live in NC, and am considering the Gorell 5155 from Pioneer Exteriors.

Who did the installation on your windows? And how did your window problem turn out? Was it covered under the Gorell warranty?

bnanln

Gorell Installation

#9 Post by bnanln »

In response to TarheelGrad. My install was in Nash County. I have not had any problems with the windows operation. We are very pleased with the performance of the Gorell. There was a slight bow in 2- of the window sashes. I was concerned that the window would seal properly when shut. With the colder weather I haven't haven't seen any problem and they seal.
I purchased the 5155 with foam fill frames, AC master glass.
Use a good installer and communicate with them.