Immediate feedback needed: 12 windows, 2 patio doors... $18K

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sgiarrit

Immediate feedback needed: 12 windows, 2 patio doors... $18K

#1 Post by sgiarrit »

Is that obsurd, or reasonable? We received a bid from Sears on their Weatherbeater Max for 12 windows, and two patio doors. Yes, I know, you need more details! For the 12 windows, 1/2 are standard, two others are on the larger side with one of them requiring egress to bring it to code. But the question is, should we keep looking? Is $18K unreasonable in CA for that many windows plus larger patio doors? I know that Sears is going to give me a higher bid than a window broker, but if I look at quality of the product and guarantee of the service (and quality of the service), are we making a poor choice? Are we making the best choice?

Your advice is very, very appreciated. I need to hear many opinions by Sunday evening, July 9th, please!

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

In all my years in the business, I've never seen what I consider to be a fair quote from Sears. After reading your post, nothing has changed my mind....just my opinion.

My advice would be to cancel, go get some more quotes, and if after that if you still think they are your best bet, you can always go back to them. Any "special deals" will still be there, believe me. After all, what's the hurry? They'll still be around. Go do some more research and make sure you are getting a good bang for the buck.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Agree. Cancel and get more quotes. Sears is way overpriced. The Anlin window line is highly regarded out there on the West Coast. Why not contact Anlin and ask for a couple of dealer references.

thegrandwazoo

Think first...

#4 Post by thegrandwazoo »

Why did you move forward? Coming to places like this will only confuse you. THe price you invest is between you and the company. "Let your yes be yes and let your no mean no."

So often people feel they can enter into an agreemnt then back out after coming, of all places, to a "biased" discussion room.

In any decision making process it would be wise to research first, gather whatever imperial data from reliable sources as you are able. In the case of windows, NFRC.ORG is a great starting point, in that they offer unbiased information based on physical and highly technical tests for the sole purpose of informing consumers so they can make better fenestration investments.

What one company charges compared to another is not an arbitrary or altruist structure. Companies are in business to make money. Unfortunately the Home Remodeling business has been tainted over the years mainly by hit and run contractors who don’t charge enough for their wares and soon find themselves fiscally impotent because they left out several factors while setting their price. It’s only a matter of time that these low bidders are searching for a chair when the music stops and the only comfort zone they have is the last group of consumers they sold. Inevitably they end up getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop, often times they lose deposits or end with a job half finished and a phone number that’s disconnected.

Reliable Home Remodelers are expensive; there is no way around that. There is no cheap alternative to quality, not just in the product but in the organization that represents it.

When it comes to sales tactics Home Improvement Sales, those who are reputable, have some of the best, as they should. Their job is to get you involved in their product for several reasons. First and foremost, this is how they earn a living. Next is to keep you, the consumer, from being ripped off or sold a lesser quality product that is being offered by the “low bidderâ€

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Think first...

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

thegrandwazoo wrote:Why did you move forward? Coming to places like this will only confuse you. THe price you invest is between you and the company. "Let your yes be yes and let your no mean no."
So often people feel they can enter into an agreemnt then back out after coming, of all places, to a "biased" discussion room.
Backing out is protected by law in every state in the country.

It's called a 3 day right of recission and is meant to protect homeowners and especially the elderly from high pressure overpriced salesmen like you.
thegrandwazoo wrote: All reliable and honorable Home Improvement Salesmen will offer an incentive to a prospect to get involved in their product. Those who are of the mind that there should be one fixed price are either too ignorant to understand this or too arrogant and prideful to accept this concept.
That is ridiculous. To say that a window contractor who gives his best price first and who doesn't expect his customers to play an unseemly price drop game is not honorable is the sickest thing I have ever heard here.

thegrandwazoo wrote: Coming to a discussion room such as this will only serve to confuse and bring doubt.
It will only serve to protect people from horrible people like you.

Get off this site and don't ever come back.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

[quote]Their job is to get you involved in their product for several reasons. First and foremost, this is how they earn a living. Next is to keep you, the consumer, from being ripped off or sold a lesser quality product that is being offered by the “low bidderâ€

sgiarrit

#7 Post by sgiarrit »

Thank you Randy and Window4U. Things were not sitting well and we cancelled. It was a high pressure pitch that started out at $28K, but if we bought right then and there we'd get a "deal" at $18K. We will get more quotes and we will not fall under the spell of the high pressure pitch again.

I am grateful for this website. I only wish I had found it a week earlier.