Stickler for grids on the inside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BillG49

#16 Post by BillG49 »

randy wrote:Sorry for using trade talk.

Jeld-Wen bought the Summit vinyl window company several years ago. The premium line is the best of their products.

Would I recommend them? Not if they are going in a home that you intend to stay in for more than two or three years. They are a low-end vinyl window that is best suited for new construction, rental property, or a home that is being flipped. The heat of Dallas will have the vinyl bowing within five years.

If you are looking for a good solid vinyl window, you might try the Simonton 5500 or 9800 line.
I see from some of your other posts that you install the Don Young aluminum window down there in Houston. My contractor is recommending that I consider these to replace my single pane aluminum windows, but I am concerned about their .42 U-factor here in Dallas. What's your opinion?

Also, do you have any experience with the Don Young vinyl windows?

randy

#17 Post by randy »

The higher U-Factor is a minor concern here in Houston. Our winter heating bills are insignificant in comparison to our summertime cooling bills. The thermally broken aluminum window has a good SHGC, a high DP rating, and they are extremely durable.

Personally, I don't care for the Don Young vinyl window line. Their single hung thermally broken aluminum window is outstanding. For vinyl, I would recommend the Simonton 5500 or 9800.

On another post, you had asked about the expanding foam insulation; very few contractors offer it, here in Texas, but it is critical to assuring an airtight/watertight seal. It is every bit as important here in the South, as it is in the North.

BillG49

Using expanding foam insulation

#18 Post by BillG49 »

randy wrote: On another post, you had asked about the expanding foam insulation; very few contractors offer it, here in Texas, but it is critical to assuring an airtight/watertight seal. It is every bit as important here in the South, as it is in the North.
Randy,

You mentioned pictures that would demonstrate the benefits of using foam. Could you post some?

Thanks,
Bill