Stickler for grids on the inside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
heythere

Stickler for grids on the inside

#1 Post by heythere »

Are there any architecturally pleasing vinyl replacement windows that have an option for grids on the inside instead of in between the glass? I'm a real stickler for authentic-looking windows and would really prefer wood replacements. However, it's not the house I'll be in forever so I'm willing to take vinyl to save on the high cost of wood. But everything I've seen has grids between the glass and I really don't like the way that looks. My preference would be no grids at all but since the homeowner's association wouldn't approve that, I'm still looking for grids. I was referred to Schuco by a satisfied customer, but they don't do inside grids. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Several vinyl window manufacturers are getting ready to release SDL's (simulated divided lites) in the near future.
At a national show a while back, I saw one vinyl window that has them already, but I can't recall who they were. Sunrise is one of the companies that will have them this fall.

Maybe one of the factory reps, salesmen, or installers on the site know who has them already.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Certainteed offers them from their Dallas affiliate. Jeld-Wen offers them on the Summit vinyl line as well, but the Summit line is poorly constructed.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

Randy must be buying the summit line out of Texas. I have had great luch with the new Premium line in the Bay area here and in the North West. I would buy their builders type windows over the the Certainteed insulate line here. Just preferences I guess. Plus my feelings about different quality from the same companies, coming out of different plants.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Earwax, do your windows come out of the Wyoming plant? I have heard that they do a much better job than our Corsicana location. THe only good things about the Summit line of windows IMP is the desert sand color and the sdl option. However, they tend to get sloppy with the sdl application and the result is uneven lines.

squeege

#6 Post by squeege »

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and there are quite a few companies that offer SDL's. The first three that come to mind are Weathervane, Jeld-Wen, and IWC. Visit your local retrofitter. They should be able to find a manufacturer that suits your needs. Good luck.

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

I get my windows from they Stayton, OR plant or the Stockton, CA plant. They both were one of the first Jeld-Wen plant the offer the Premium Line. From the people I have talked with, the TX plant is still a few years behind in menufacturing technology. They are a bit outdated.

My first experience with the SDL was uneven lines. They fixed them all with no question. That was a year ago, since that time, no problems. Maybe the TX plant needs to see how they are making the product on the west and copy it. I do like the Desert sand color, it matches the wood exterior colors, so there is an option for a french door that does not have to be painted to match.

Sqeege, I have not had a good experience with IWC. I was looking at thier windows at the PCBC and noticed they still have that GOD awful lock that looks like McJagger's lips. They have been using that for about 4 years and are still pushing it. Awwwwhhhh. JMO

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

An architecturally pleasing replacement window that has simulated divided lites will be available on the Marvin replacement window in 90 days. Although the Infinity replacement window from Marvin is not a wood window it has the same architectural detailed look. I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it is an avenue.[/quote]

squeege

#9 Post by squeege »

Earwax,

I actually have never sold an IWC window. I have a friend that just went to work for them, and we both ised to sell against them. Also, you are correct on the lock. I don't understand what engineer/product designer thought that lock looked good.

earwax

#10 Post by earwax »

I have been to the Hayward plant a few times and the GM of that plant has been to my facility once. We shared info on machinery at the time. This was a few years back, about 6 years now. They were at the time investing in improving their vinyl window product. They seem like they are still a bit behind. They were tucked into a corner at the PCBC and had some product that looked like it came out of a dealers bone yard. Not too impressed still.

BillG49

Jeld-Wen Corsicana plant

#11 Post by BillG49 »

earwax wrote:I get my windows from they Stayton, OR plant or the Stockton, CA plant. They both were one of the first Jeld-Wen plant the offer the Premium Line. From the people I have talked with, the TX plant is still a few years behind in menufacturing technology. They are a bit outdated.
earwax,

I am leaning toward ordering the Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl windows for my 30 year old home here in the Dallas, TX area, and saw this old post of yours. I don't know if the old Summit line is the same as the new Premium line, but the windows I'm looking at are made at the Corsicana plant.

Have you heard anything recently - good or bad - about the Premium windows that are being manufactured at the Corsicana plant?

Bill

randy

#12 Post by randy »

Jeld-Wen has dramatically improved their Corsicana plant during the past year.

BillG49

#13 Post by BillG49 »

randy wrote:Jeld-Wen has dramatically improved their Corsicana plant during the past year.
Randy,

Thanks for the reply. Can I infer from your comment that Summit is the same as Premium, but that you would now recommend that window?

Bill

randy

#14 Post by randy »

Sorry for using trade talk.

Jeld-Wen bought the Summit vinyl window company several years ago. The premium line is the best of their products.

Would I recommend them? Not if they are going in a home that you intend to stay in for more than two or three years. They are a low-end vinyl window that is best suited for new construction, rental property, or a home that is being flipped. The heat of Dallas will have the vinyl bowing within five years.

If you are looking for a good solid vinyl window, you might try the Simonton 5500 or 9800 line.

utoo

#15 Post by utoo »

The Oregon Milgard plant is now producing SDL for their new lines.