Alside ultramaxx quote from sears in central NJ

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
njshopper

Alside ultramaxx quote from sears in central NJ

#1 Post by njshopper »

Hi All,

We are planning to replace 10 old windows, 34x38(6, double hung), 34x18(1, casement), 58x60(2, double casement and picture) and 50x49(1, slide). First Renewal by Anderson gave us a quote about 14k, then Morris Windows (Schuco) quoted us 13K. Yesterday we signed the contract with Sears (alside ultramaxx) for $9500 in oder to get their discount.

I found this board last night, even after reading only a few posts I started to think we paid too much. We liked the lifetime warranty and Sears is unlikely going out of business. Now the questions are should we cancel the contract, how and where to find good contractors.

Any help is appriciated! Thanks!

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

You're paying an ultra high-end price for a mid-grade window. I'd cancel and keep looking at other options. Try calling some local contractors without giant advertising budgets and layers of middle management, ask local friends with new windows, call some window distributors and ask for a reliable local contractor, or check on a few local companies with the BBB. This site also has a Request a Quote link you might try. Good luck!

jonesing

#3 Post by jonesing »

That's ultra-wicked expensive for an Ultramaxx. Get out from under the contract if you can.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

Infosponge is correct; don’t fall for that sign today to get a discount business the same price would have been there tomorrow.

The Ultramax window with the pocket sill is an old design and relies heavily on drainage holes it was considered a good window 15 years ago. You want a window with a sloped sill design.

New Jersey is the only area of the country that Sears uses the Ultramax because in NJ Sears contracts with a large Sub who chooses the window offered. For the rest of the country Sears’s sells a Simonton 5500 re-branded that is superior to the Ultramax. But again as Infosponge stated you can get the same window or better for much less from a local Simonton or Alside dealer and still have your lifetime warranty.

Good Luck

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

njshopper

#5 Post by njshopper »

Thanks to you all!!!

We just called and cancelled the deal. The salesman said he might ask his manager to call us and try to work out a new deal. In that case, what other models of alside windows would be better than Ultramax, what would be a reasonable price range for the windows I described in the original post? Also what we have now are old steel casement windows.

We need your guys experienced opionin!

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

The Sheffield would be the better model from Alside that most of us consider basically an equal to the Simonton 5500. The Simonton top of the line Impressions 9800 that is superior to the Sheffield in both appearance and features may be worth a look also

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

It's difficult to give pricing info without seeing the installation, however you should be looking to pay less than $7500.00 for the whole package, perhaps much less.

Bill gave you good info on the window brands and lines.

thegrandwazoo

Here's something to consider....

#8 Post by thegrandwazoo »

I agree that there are better alternatives in replacing your windows however I strongly disagree with the notion of looking for company’s that are smaller, or to quote one of the above authors, “Don’t have a large advertisement budget or layers of middle management.â€

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

I received an e-mail from the person who may have started this message; the content of your message did not come through and I was unable to reply.

Please re-send the message.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

thegrandwazoo

Schuco

#10 Post by thegrandwazoo »

Have you looked into the Schuco window system?

njshopper

#11 Post by njshopper »

Bill, please check you email again, thank you!

I think the quote for schuco windows we received is too high, 13K for 10 windows :shock:

thegrandwazoo

Apples to Apples....

#12 Post by thegrandwazoo »

Compared to what? Are you buying or investing? Unfortunately most windows available today are commodity items and hold no intrinsic value. Spending money on a depreciating asset wherein it will be used for your home, which in most cases is our most appreciable asset just doesn’t make sense, now does it?

Look at it this way, if you focus on the return on your investment rather than the cost of buying windows you will come the unalterable conclusion that windows such as Schuco
Pay a much greater dividend than most.

Investing in quality remodeling pays more than just dollars, these types of windows actually pay you a monthly dividend in the form of a lower energy bill, plus adding value if and when you sell it, as much as 134% return on your investment, let me ask you, is there anything in your financial portfolio doing as well?

The simple fact is the disposable windows that are sold today do nothing but cost you money as there life expectancy is short and their performance is low.

Once you start looking at this project though investment eyes rather than a mere purchase it will shed light and bring clarity to your decision making process.

If you want to gamble may I suggest Atlantic City? Bring with you all the money you could afford to lose, see a show, and take in the night life and whatever else suits your fancy.

Don’t gamble on your home, your most valuable asset. The last thing you want to do is drive home everyday, pull into your driveway and look at your mistake. I know far too many who do just that and they hate themselves for it.

There’s a quality of life issue here as well that few take into account while looking to replace their windows & doors.

So, if you’ve got money to burn, are independently wealthy, none of this matters, buy what ever you can get at the cheapest price. However if you’re looking to do this project right, consider it as an investment and think in terms of rate of return. You may have to spend a few more dollars to get a higher return but in the long run I’m sure you’ll agree it’s worth it.

njshopper

#13 Post by njshopper »

compared to the quotes others posted here.

quality is important to us, but we are not that rich to throw thousands $$ away. so how do you negotiate a better deal to a monopoly schuco dealer?

thegrandwazoo

Simple

#14 Post by thegrandwazoo »

There are two deals in New Jersey. Depending on where you're located call the one that services your area. Ask to speak to either an owner of VP and state your case. There are several options open to you.

windowmannjny

#15 Post by windowmannjny »

Njshopper, i do agree that schuco are top of the line replacement windows, but 13k for 10 windows is not worth the "investment" as some on this board feel it is, dont let anyone make you feel that you need to drive the $385,000 bentley when in many cases it is overkill, yes your home is probably your single biggest investment but if you only chose the best i would imagine that you have redone all your interior insulation replaced all your old doors, put down only the finest ashpalt, put hardware on all your interiors doors at approx. $500. a door handle, only use the finest state of the art oven....i hope you getting my point.... i have been installing the Alside Sheffield model with giving my customers the optional super-spacer for a while now and tehy love it..not too expensive and great quality in my opinion without breaking the wallet