What Makes A Good Installation ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mikey105

What Makes A Good Installation ?

#1 Post by mikey105 »

This is a terrific forum, I feel fortunate to have found it. Today I signed a contract with Home Depot to install 7 Simonton series 6500 replacement windows. I have looked for about 6 months at all kinds of windows and people in the business. The HM sales guy was low pressure, answered all my questions, gave me a cost within the hour. The last independent window outfit is in the 6th day of trying to figure out a cost.

I like everything about the window, the warranties, and the performance numbers. The only thing that is nawing on me is the fact that HM will subcontract the installation. I will have a "Project Manager" plus a regional person to work with, and all these people are accessible through my job account on the web. That's nice. I expect to do my best to make sure HM understands my expectations about using only highly skilled, professional installers with excellent track records proven over several years and hundreds of installs. On their side of things, they warrant the installation as part of the over all warranty so they are supposedly trying to achieve the same thing I am.

My question to you is - how can you tell when you are watching the replacement process that the installers are knowledgable and have the skills that will produce the high quality installation that I am paying big bucks for? I have basic skills in house repair and can spot the obvious, and I will be watching the job as it goes (retired) but if you know of some key things to watch for, that would help. If you have had experience with HM installs FOR WINDOWS I would apreciate knowing how that went for you and if you would do it again.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Believe it or not their appearance will also make an impact. What are they driving and how they treat you as a customer. Installers that are paid well will drive nice trucks and usually have nice trailers. Mainly because they live in that truck every day and must rely on that truck to get them to the job every day. So in this case you know they are well paid and make good money for what they do. I do agree with Mr. Trim in some ways but even us hardened Pro's get a little jittery when someone is over our shoulder all the time. I think the casual conversation is great. It seems to settle everyone down and make them feel comfortable. There are just to many unforeseen issues that come up and most customers won't understand what's going on. There are some installers that really don't socialize well. They are usually outside or in an area where they won't be put in that situation. They aren't bad installers in any way. The job sup usually keeps them busy in an area where they won't have to be uncomfortable. You'll see them if their there, they'll be in the background milling about.

Best thing to do is watch the install from a distance while having a cup of coffee. They should come in with some drop cloths under the windows to protect the floor and catch debris. A real good installer always has that garbage bag next to them while working. They know it's much easier to bag the debris right away and saves a ton of time during the clean up. The young ones haven't quite figured that one out yet. Another way to find that seasoned vet is if he's wearing a tool-belt or not. Most good installers carry their tools in a bag or tote. If they wear a belt they have all their tools pushed to the bag. If the have them hanging down in front of themselves they really do a number to the wall under the window.

Mr. trims other notations on Manners, Hot Heads or the Impatient ones can really stand out. The best time to check the window is when they move from one room to the next. Usually the installer will complete the inside of the installation and move to the next room. Then in the next few minutes someone else usually follows behind them and insulates, trims, caulks and final cleans the room. So the time between the two can get you in for a peak. Here's where you can make sure there are good gaps for insulation around the window and test the operation. No matter what window you have it should lock some what easily. You shouldn't have to torque on the lock for it to work. Open and close the window making sure it works smoothly. Check the reveals (gaps between the sash and frame) making sure they are even up, down and across. All the weatherseal on the sashes and frame should be snug when the window is locked. There should be no gaps around the seal. Otherwise check the insulation and make sure they look appealing enough for you to enjoy. Good Luck!!!