is installation different between Simonton models?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Tackleberry

is installation different between Simonton models?

#1 Post by Tackleberry »

Hello, I have been researching for quite a while and have pretty much decided on Simonton windows. I have received many quotes for several different windows and the best I have come across is as follows. This is for 23 low-e/argon, white vinyl windows (9 DH 32 x 46, 8 DH 32 x 34, 2 DH 32 x 50, 4 sliders 42 x 20 and 1 pic. Window 60 x 50)

Simonton 9800 $9865
Simonton 5300 $8765
Simonton 5050 $7800

I am waiting for a list of referrals, but I have heard good things about this contractor so I am not overly worried about the installation. I actually know approximately what each window costs, which means I also know how much is being charged for installation.

Is there a difference in how each of these windows would be installed? The installation cost is about 25% higher per 9800 window than the installation cost of the 5050 window.

Finally, do the above quotes seem reasonable for Simonton windows? Or should I be getting a higher quality window for the prices above?

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

The installation for the three models is exactly the same.

I’m surprised you did not get a quote for the 5500.

If you purchase the 50/50 or the 5300 be sure to upgrade the screen frame to extruded aluminum.

I typically never sell the 5300 the only difference between the 50/50 & the 5300 is the stepped sill and low-e/argon is standard in the 5300. I take the 50/50 upgrade the screen and add low-e/argon . Once you take the 5300 and upgrade the screen for a few dollars more you have a 5500 that is a totally different window.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

Tackleberry

#3 Post by Tackleberry »

Bill,
Thanks for the info! I had only asked for a quote for the Simonton 9800 because I knew the window price and I figured that (what I thought would be) a reasonable installation cost on top of that would still be in my price range. However, the contractor gave me quotes for (in his words) "good, better, best" windows in the Simonton line. I will probably ask about the difference in installation charge and see what kind of response I receive.

Also, can you (and others in the industry) give me an opinion on this. I can order the windows myself at a price I am happy with, but I want the measuring and installing to be done correctly. Are there contractors and/or window guys who will measure and install windows even if I don't order the windows through them or is this frowned upon? I ask, because I feel like I have been somewhat blown off by those I have asked this question to. I will pay for good installation, but I don't see the point in paying a higher price for a window that I know is not costing that much.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

Yes it is possible to find an installer who will work this way; they are the subs who work for different window company’s and will often work on the side.

I have sold windows this way a few times where the homeowner has come in with sizes from the installing contractor and purchased the windows. All went well except in one case where the contractor measured a few windows incorrectly. Now the question is who is responsible for this error? If you go with a company that provides and installs the windows it is very clear who is responsible. In the other case it is not so clear.

In conclusion you have your highest level of safety with a company who provides the window.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

Tackleberry

#5 Post by Tackleberry »

Bill,
Many thanks for the insight!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

A couple more things to add to Bill's advice...

Understand before you make this decision that doing it this way makes you the contractor with all the risks involved.
*You will be 100% liable in the future for dealing with warranty issues and getting service done. The installer will be only providing labor on the installation, so don't expect him to fix future problems. Also, don't be surprised if you can't get the guy back if there is a problem later. Service work will not interest him as that's not where he makes his good money. You may have to hire someone new to fix any problems.

*Also, if he works somewhere else during the week, he may not be insured if he is an employee at his real job. It will be up to you to make sure you and he are covered with proper liability and workmen's comp insurance coverage should anything go wrong or an accident happens and he should get cut or be injured. An accident could cost you everything you have if you don't make sure the coverage is there.

I'm not trying to talk you out of saving money. I just wanted to give you a couple things to think about so you don't kick yourself later. Cover your butt by asking the right questions, and get your labor agreement in writing and spell out what he is providing now and in the future. Good luck to you no matter how you go.

FenEx

#7 Post by FenEx »

Additional: Your homeowner's insurance will NOT cover you if you hire someone else to work on your property and they get injured. Ask your agent. It doesn't even matter if they aren't required by law because they are an owner of a remodeling company... YOU are still liable. Again.. ask your agent... and if he/she tells you otherwise... contact the state or national binding agency for a legal coverage certificate from your insurance carrier. The worst case scenario probably won't happen... but read the news... it does.

Tackleberry

#8 Post by Tackleberry »

Thanks for the advice! I was a bit skeptical of the idea anyways, and the less future headache, the better.