How much bowing is acceptable in a window frame?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pdxman1

How much bowing is acceptable in a window frame?

#1 Post by pdxman1 »

My Milgard Classic windows are being installed and one of them is bowed on one side. It is an 5 foot high XO slider and on the fixed side, if I put a straightedge on the glass and look at the vinyl, the frame is bowed in about 1/8 inch in the middle. The frame was obviously not straight when the glass unit was glued in. It looks like a manufacturing issue, not installation. Should I have this fixed? The installer suggests that the manufacturer would pull out the IG unit and reglue it with the frame straightened. Is this an acceptable repair method? Or am I being to picky and should I just let it go as it is? Thanks and I will post a review in the reviews forum after the install is finished.

Tw

Acceptable bowing

#2 Post by Tw »

Tall sliders are nototrious for bowing. This is a manufacturing issue due to the difficulty of setting the glass to either the tape or sealant (glue). Typically most manufacturing people will tell you that 1/32" per foot (sash) would be acceptable. Since your bow is on the fixed lite, you're not in any danger of leakage or other defects. Should you decide to have it reglazed, yes the best method is to deglaze the Glass, Clean the residual sealant, re-tape/seal and replace the glass. :)

pdxman1

Re: Acceptable bowing

#3 Post by pdxman1 »

Tw wrote:Tall sliders are nototrious for bowing. This is a manufacturing issue due to the difficulty of setting the glass to either the tape or sealant (glue). Typically most manufacturing people will tell you that 1/32" per foot (sash) would be acceptable. Since your bow is on the fixed lite, you're not in any danger of leakage or other defects. Should you decide to have it reglazed, yes the best method is to deglaze the Glass, Clean the residual sealant, re-tape/seal and replace the glass. :)
Thank you for the info. If that is the spec, then 1/8 over a 5 foot window would be OK. If there is no danger of a functional problem, I am inclined to let it go rather than have it fixed.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

One thing to look for before writing the bow off is your seal. The windows lock together and the seals must overlap in order to function properly. If they have the smaller quarter inch pile weather stripping they may not be locking up properly. So make sure you check that out first. In general it's usually a quick fix if the window is readily accessible. The glass can be removed and re-set like TW stated earlier. You just have to make sure the bow is pushed in to make sure it straightens out. Good Luck!!!