Vinyl, Aluminum clad or Wood

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Understanding

Vinyl, Aluminum clad or Wood

#1 Post by Understanding »

I am in the market for replacement windows. I live in Chicago. I am of course concerned with the expansion and contraction of vinyl, and the rotting and swelling of wood. Don't know much about aluminum clad. Spoke to an Architect and he said he would recommend those windows. I have read a ton of emails with very confusing language of TPS, TSS, U and R ratings and so on. Problem is I am looking for double hung windows with a transom, no grill, keeps decent temperature despite severe weather, energy efficient, minimal expansion and contraction. Most importantly will withstand Chicagos weather! I have looked around at Big Box hardware stores the windows were alright nothing caught my attention. Plus,not impressed with subcontractors because I have seen their work. I never knew it could be this difficult. Most important- I would like to install myself. :?

Paneless

Neither...

#2 Post by Paneless »

Vinyl’s expansion rate is minimal compared to wood; however aluminum which has a negligible expansion rate does have a very high conductivity rate, 1,416 BTU per hour, as compared to wood which is only 1.2 BTU and vinyl at 1.3 BTU per hour.

Steel which conducts only 312 BTU an hour, used properly will give you the best of both worlds. Schuco makes steel reinforced windows that I can highly recommend.

Understanding

Schuco TPS MAXX, Power Q, Pella Impervia

#3 Post by Understanding »

Thanks paneless

I've been looking into Schuco windows and others that have similar qualities. One question, I need clarity on.. I thought there was no such thing as virgin vinyl, but the website outlines their windows as virgin uPVC. Whats up? What exactly is the difference between schuco's TPS, pella impervia and power Q windows? They all boast of high quality materials that are nearlyimpervious to severe weather, with the exception of TPS MAXX. Which window is steel? On their website they disclose that their windows are steel reinforced underneath vinyl. I will keep doing the research. What about Jeldwen windows? I believed they were of decent quality? Thanks for your help.

Understanding

Understanding

Steel Reinforced

#4 Post by Understanding »

What about the Corona 4000? Im looking for a double hung window with transoms atop. Looking for low U with a moderate to high solar heat gain and mid VT? Which steel reinforced window would you recommend?[/list][/quote]

Paneless

PVC

#5 Post by Paneless »

There are 3 types of Vinyl reused in windows.

1. Reconditioned vinyl mostly comprised on old windows that have been ground up and calcium chloride (chalk) added. The easiest was to spot them is the bright white color.
2. PVC: Poly Vinyl Chloride: These windows are manufactured with virgin PVC pelts then extruded.
3. UI-PVC: The same as above only Titanium Oxide is added in inhibit fading and promote color fastness.

As for Jeldwen, look at their NFRC numbers. Schuco windows can be easily configured with a transom top either operable or fixed.