Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solar Industries -- Viking -- ??? They came from Home Depot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:37 pm 

I purchased windows from Home Depot about 5 years ago, they tell me that they could be Solar Industries or Viking windows.
I am trying to locate replaced screen retainers, (they are extruded vinyl parts).
Does anyone know where I can locate parts (or even tell wh made these things?) Home Depot has not been the best source for information.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 pm 

It's nice to know that a large well known company like Home Depot will be there for years to come to service your every warranty need, and to do it with a smile. :(

If one of my customers were to call 5 years after install and I couldn't or wouldn't help them get parts, I'd be run out of town! How horrible.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:08 pm 

I think the worst part is that you have to replace parts on your replacements within 5 years. Unfortunately, about 30% of the replacement window industry is replacing poorly made replacement windows. Ironically, Viking is also making the low-end vinyl windows sold at Lowes too... but Pella provides the ThermaStar sticker on it.

Post subject: ThermaStar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:38 pm 

Is ThermaStar made by Viking? I checked on fiberglass French doors by them today and they said they do not offer argon filled. Made me wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:29 pm 

Based on the two windows referenced, it sounds like the home depot you went to is on the West coast, most likely northern california. Viking was purchased by Pella and operates out of Portland. They make the windows for Lowe's now that Jeld-Wen took the Home Depot account. I think the window made for Lowe's is now different, but parts are not hard to find. Take it to a local glass shop. Where do you live, and I might be able to guide you to the parts.