Replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dtschuster

Replacement windows

#1 Post by dtschuster »

Hi! I am looking for some help and advice in making decisions replacing our windows. We are looking to replace 5 windows in the upstairs of our rambler. One window is a large kitchen window, 3 pannels of glass, has a middle fixed window and two casements on each side. Three windows are bedroom windows that are all the same size and they are sliders now. The final window is a relatively small one that is in the bathroom. Here's our issues:

1. We live in SE Minnesota and HAVE to have windows that can stand up to brutal winter weather.

2. We have wood right now and do NOT want wood again, they are all rotting!

3. We orginally thought of vinyl for sure for replacemnts, but now are thinking there may be some better options.

4. We really REALLY like the idea of the blinds between the windows, it seems as though PELLA has the most sophsicated system with these, however, Pella only makes them in wood. :(

5. We want to convert the kitchen window to a bow (not bay) window, which invovles creating an overhang or small roof for the bow.

Here's where were at. We have to decide how bad we want the blinds in the middle. One contractor sells a brand of windows called SUNRISE and they make vinyl windows with blinds in the middle, however they do not seem as good as pellas. Because we are dead set against wood, pellas windows with blinds are out of the question. I am wondering if anyone here has heard of these windows or has any other suggestions for us.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tonya

dtschuster

#2 Post by dtschuster »

I wented to update this post with the quote we got from our local SUNRISE contractor.

One 3 Lite Bow Window $4,892
includes:
builing an overhang/roof
blinds in the windows
installation
trim
oak vinyl trim on the inside (we were told this increased the price by 25%)
brown window trim on the outside (again, told it increased price by20%)
2 casement windows on the sides and one fixed window in the middle.

Three Double Casements (bedroom windows) and One Casement (small bathroom window) $6,492
includes:
blinds in the windows
installation
trime
oak vinyl trim on the inside (25% extra)
brown window trim on the outside (20% extra)

The sales person also told us that blinds in the window add $180 per window to the price! :shock:

Hmmmm............

Just wondering what you all think. This is a local contractor, reputable. No high presusre sales whatsoever. I really felt the sales guy was just telling us like it is and he did present to us cheaper options, like not using the brown trim on the outside or using sliders in the bedrooms instead of casements.

Please.....any response would be appreciated.

Understanding

#3 Post by Understanding »

Have you checked out the NFRC website? This has been very helpful to me in my research about purchasing windows. This website gives the FACTS about window manufacturers. Depending on where you live how your window is rated is important. Whether you prefer argon/krypton gas filled windows (protecting against condensation), vinyl (that is a composite mix, recycled vinyl-which is very white, steel or aluminum clad vinyl, TPS or TSS, VT rating, U rating, SHGC rating, single, double or triple pane all has a hand in the type of windows that will give you the most efficiency and aesthetic appeal for your property. The website is NFRC.org

Then of course.. search your local sources regarding the proficiency of the contractors. I have seen nightmares on this website from individuals purchasing seemingly great window that had wretched installs.

Good Luck.

dtschuster

#4 Post by dtschuster »

I am going bump this to see if anyone has opinions on my quote. We are leaning toward the SUNRISE windows with the blinds in the middle. I'm interested if any of you have any thoughts on these windows?

Thanks in advance.