Our most recent quote for windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
riddlewh

Our most recent quote for windows

#1 Post by riddlewh »

A local company quoted us a prive on Harvey windows (double hung, Low e/Argon), 17 of them at 34"x64", and one at 50"x64". Price including installation, removal of old windows, etc., came to $4700. Think we will go with this over Home Depot at $10,700 as they are a local company, been in business for years, and no BBB complaints about them.

This fits our price range since we are doing a furnace replacement and would like to have some electrical work/gas line added done too.

Pjd58

#2 Post by Pjd58 »

I'd be concerned on the quality of the Double Hung window you were quoted for $4700. I'm certain for 17 windows installed you are probably looking at a Mechanical Frame vs a Welded Frame, also Harvey offers a Ultra thin vinyl window. IMO, $275 for window fully installed something has to suffer............inexperienced installers or low grade window.

I had numerous estimates for 20 Double Hung windows, similar size as yours and 8K was the best price. Fusion welded Frame and Sash, low E argon gas with a R4 rating (.26), Super Spacers, LifetimeWarranty Parts & Labor.

riddlewh

#3 Post by riddlewh »

These aren't inexpereinced installers, we found out we knew installer/owner and he has been doing this for 20+ years. He did say he knocked $25 off his regular price. The literature says it has a welded frame and sash.

We had Home Depot quote of $10,700, and another contractor just came back with one of $6800. We have one more company we are waiting a price from but they look to be in the $5400 range.

Not sure where you live but these prices are in Lewiston, Maine. I know if I really wanted to that the place that we are expecting a $5400 from could put in windows for about $3500, but even he said they were cheap Silver Run windows.

What brand were you being quoted prices on?

Pjd58

#4 Post by Pjd58 »

I doubt labor is less expensive in ME vs OHIO. Your other quote of $6,800 for 17 windows seems more in line ($400.00 per window). IMO, I still believe paying around $275.00 a window installed........quality is going to suffer. If you believe the installlers are Top-Notch, make sure your are getting Harvey's Mid Range Vinyl Window (Classic). I don't know the details of your contract....but if you are getting 17 windows for $4700.00 this dealer's margin is thin. Beware of the quality of your Harvey windows, they offer a low end-product (Signature). I donot like their Ultra-thin window.

My Windows are on order from the Vista Window Company, Warren , OH. I've looked at numerous Vinyl windows and Vista makes a very nice window ($400.00 installed).....Veka vinyl, PPG Low E Glass/Argon, Super Spacers, Lifetime Warr. Vista has an excellent track-record of quality windows.

riddlewh

#5 Post by riddlewh »

Pjd58 wrote:I doubt labor is less expensive in ME vs OHIO. Your other quote of $6,800 for 17 windows seems more in line ($400.00 per window). IMO, I still believe paying around $275.00 a window installed........quality is going to suffer. If you believe the installlers are Top-Notch, make sure your are getting Harvey's Mid Range Vinyl Window (Classic). I don't know the details of your contract....but if you are getting 17 windows for $4700.00 this dealer's margin is thin. Beware of the quality of your Harvey windows, they offer a low end-product (Signature). I donot like their Ultra-thin window.
The other dealer finally came back and he came in below the $6800 I thought and quoted $5500.

These are the Harvey Vinly Classic, not the Signature or the Ultra-Thin models. As stated the installer has been around for years, does a lot of the big contracts in town for both public and private sector, and has a clean record with the BBB.

pinnenergy

?????

#6 Post by pinnenergy »

The quality will suffer at 400.00 a window in my opinion. 275.00 is just ou tof the question. There is a big difference between a heat fusion weld and a spot weld also. There is no such thing as a window that is less than 400.00 installed that is heat fusion welded in the frame and sash. Usually the warranty will tell you everything. Read all the warranty.

riddlewh

Re: ?????

#7 Post by riddlewh »

pinnenergy wrote:The quality will suffer at 400.00 a window in my opinion. 275.00 is just ou tof the question.
OUt of the 5 companies that gave us quotes, Home Depot was the highest at around $650 a window. The next highest out of the remaining four was around the $400 range (Harvey Classic double hung, Low E/Argon). The @75 is for the same window, for a company that has been in business for years, no BBB complaints, has done 3 houses within a block of us (I talked to some of the people and they love the windows). As stated, we know the owner and he stated he was giving us a very good deal. Might help he is just finishing doing all the windows at the local $40,000 a year college.