? for Paneless, Earwax, Window4U, Bill and mman, etc.....

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ft_ball_fn

? for Paneless, Earwax, Window4U, Bill and mman, etc.....

#1 Post by ft_ball_fn »

I live in MI (freezing winter--full sun summer) and am in the market for 21+ all vinyl casement windows.

Do the good double hung manufacturers also make good casement windows?

I've read the Simonton 5500 (argone low e w/upgrade to super spacer) is a good value in double hung--is that true of the casement too? Is the 9800 casement as good as the double hung?

For Alside--the Sheffield is recommended here, but other models don't sound so great--any scoop on their casement? It rates well NFRC.

Milgard--what model would you recommend? (best energy efficiency/value for the money?)

Cannot find anything about Schuco casements (model lines/options?) on their site or find a seller here in Detroit--but they are awesome on NFRC.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Brian

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

ft_ball_fn

The quality of the Simonton casement is quite good and I believe it represents a good value as long as the dealer is not price gauging.

Simonton only makes two casements one in their ProFinish new construction line and their top of the line unit that is the exact same window in all their replacement lines including the 5500,9800,6500 and Prism line. The only difference is in the standard glass systems some will start with double strength glass others do not. Some are 7/8â€

ft_ball_fn

Info

#3 Post by ft_ball_fn »

Bill and Ken... Thanks for all the info--I really appreciate it.

Ken--please let me know how things go with your window purchase/install using Tom's...

Because this is such a huge investment I'm trying to get a good number of estimates and learn as much as possible about available products before making a decision--so if anyone has more info please feel free to post.

Thank you again :D
Brian

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

You also have and Infinity from Marvin dealer in Detroit. It may be worth your while to check them out.

chrisexv6

#5 Post by chrisexv6 »

Had 8 Schuco casements installed in my house a couple months ago. Im quite pleased by them. The fit and finish is excellent, and I love the 2-point lock with only one lock handle.

We opted for the triple pane (I dont know if thats in your budget or not), but since we dont have blinds on most of them yet, I can tell you the UV/heat they block out is quite impressive. To the point that at the brightest/hottest part of the day, the wood floor the windows shine onto barely gets warm. I also like the way the screens are constructed (once installed they almost look like a picture frame within the window, instead of the old 2-lock Andersens that we had).

Again, installation is key. I was a little disappointed with our installation of the casements because the installer didnt use low-expansion foam to fill the gap behind the exterior capping. I felt a little air getting in. No big deal, just pulled the pink stuff filled with the foam and replaced the pink stuff. You might want to mention it to your installer (make sure it wont void a warranty, but even our installer said if you use the low expansion stuff and dont pour a whole can into each window you'll be fine).

-Chris

ft_ball_fn

Triple panes?

#6 Post by ft_ball_fn »

Chris and JScott... thank you for the info...

I haven't gotten a price for Marvin's fiberglass... I haven't really considered fiberglass... They have good but not awesome ratings... are they a good value?

That's interesting about the Anderson screens---when I saw them I thought the two clasps only in the center of the screen frame would make them not seal to the window in the corners (once the screen frames bent a little like mine are).

Thank you again for the information!
Brian

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

ft_ball_fn,
I believe they will be the longest lasting, therefore the best value for the home. You should keep doing your searching of knowledge, get pricing and make your decision. They are moderately priced and they are only moderately performing, 8" of rain driven by 42 mph winds. Most areas this is more than sufficient. On the coast I would want something more substantial. Good luck in your search.