Reasonable Window Quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
skellmeyer

Reasonable Window Quote

#1 Post by skellmeyer »

Hello,

I've read through a lot of posts on this forum, but I must say, I'm kind of indundated with information.

I've got a house built in 1973 with original aluminum single-paned windows - just bought it in Plano, Texas, and we plan on staying here for at least a dozen or so years, maybe longer.

There are 13 windows to replace.
The dimensions are for the rough openings, height x width.

Kitchen 31x34.5 and 71x23 and 71x23
Dining Room 70x23 and 70x17.5 and 70x23
Guest bedroom 70x23 and 70x23
Children's bedroom 70.5x22.75 and 70.5x23.25
Office 34x58.5
Master Bath 34.5x23
Master Bed 34.5x58.5

From what I've seen on these boards, double-glaze would be more economical than triple-glaze (not a ton of cost savings one versus the other). Any recommendations on what I should be looking for given the heat and the window shapes?

We have a few thousand to spend, but I would like to keep this job inside of four figures, mo more than $5000-6000, preferably beneath that, installed. Is that unreasonable?

I've never done window installation, and doubt I have either the tools or the skills necessary (I think silly putty is a building material). Also, any recommendations on anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for this?

randy

#2 Post by randy »

You need to look for a window with a low SHGC, no higher than .31 and .29 is better. Simonton, Alside, Certainteed are all available in your area with these ratings. Double glazed windows will serve you well, no need for triple.

The price you want to pay is low. This board can be very confusing for homeowners in our area of the country. You must realize that the prices you see in the Northeast are based on different type of installation. They are generally removing wood window sashes only, setting the window, and then wrapping the wood window frame with aluminum coil stock.

Your situation requires the removal of an aluminum window from brick and siding (most likely). This requires more time and effort and is therefore more expensive.

Your budget figures are a little on the low side, but you might find a suitable window for around the $6000.00 figure.

skellmeyer

#3 Post by skellmeyer »

Thanks for the tips. As you guessed, the house is brick, the aluminum frame looks like it is set onto the brick.

That's part of the reason I didn't want to deal with self-install - I might be willing to play around with wood, but the last thing I need to do is screw up the masonry.

Now I just have to find someone trustworthy in the Plano area who installs windows. Google only turns up two businesses, so I guess I'll be checking out the Yellow Pages... :lol:

docwill

.....and 7 months later.....

#4 Post by docwill »

Howdy Skellmeyer....We live in NW Richardson (SE of Coit & Campbell). Our house was build in '63, Pier'n Beam. Our home sounds like yours but I'm betting yours is a Slab.

I was wondering how your experiance turned out? What kind of windows you ended up installing? Would you recommend your Window Dealer/Installer?

www.dlp.com