fiberglass windows / contractor

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gresham girl

fiberglass windows / contractor

#1 Post by gresham girl »

can I get some feedback on others who have fiberglass replacement windows? also, can anyone in the Portland area recommend a good contractor or should I just go with Pella installation?

I need to replace windows - NOW. Have done some research etc. and have pretty much ruled out Marvin and Milgard because they don't have uniform color in the whole frame. I don't want white interiors and don't want the hassle/expense of staining wood.
So far Pella is the only company that has a uniform frame. Does anyone have a positive or negative experience with these? Do you know of another window that I've missed? Schuco isn't available here either.

About 10 years ago I replaced 3 large windows with a compozit frame (GE Cycolac and Geloy) from McVay Bros. (no longer in bus.)

I love them and was hoping to find the same thing but nobody on the west coast has them. A company called thermal line in ND seems to have them but they don't have any dealers on the west coast.

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

FYI,
Marvin is the only product to have uniform colors within the frame. I do not know what you looked at. The process from Techton includes applying the acrylic coating as soon as the material exits the prutruders then baked to provide uniform consistent colors. The colors from other manufacturers are usually applied after the units are assembled.

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

Last time I looked at a Pella Impervia fiberglass window (8 months ago?), at least the white the finish had a very wavy texture and looked pretty bad, in my opinion. Maybe they have improved things since then, or we just have different tastes.

gresham girl

#4 Post by gresham girl »

Hi,
I've looked into both the Marvin Integrity and Infinity and neither of them have the bronze or peble gray color on the inside of the frame. What Marvin windows are you talking about?

As for the Pella's - I feel like I'm limited in my choices and left with nothing else to choose from but Pella because of the frame color thing.

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

Now I believe we understand. Keep in mind one of the bigest complaint s about vinyl is 2 tone, interior and exterior. Gorell has it but it is a small fortune. With fiberglass this obstacle has been overcome. Most manufacturers cost would run 50-100 for standard limited offerings and when you hire a painter it should run 50-100 including the cost of the paint. You are a perfect candidate for fiberglass as you need the ability to decorate using your vision. Fiberglass allows this. If the manufactures had 2 or 20 interior colors, of the 1-4% who need this, half would not like what was offered.

Look at the products for what they are. No product can satisfy everyone. Choose the one that "BEST" fits your needs based on their availability to you. Thats the best window.

PS- thanks for the info regarding the Cycolac. It was interesting reading.