HELP ASAP!!!! double vs triple

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ddrta

HELP ASAP!!!! double vs triple

#1 Post by ddrta »

I need answers ASAP!!!! I need to know if the price were the same for double vs. triple (I know someone who installs triple), which would you have installed? Here are the factors:

1. Live in St. Louis
2. Certainteed vs Cardinal Mgf.

I read a previous post about BTU, and all the rest of the science stuff that I don't understand.

I just read things about triple-- the weight in particular, that my be a factor.

Does the frame on the double give that much more viewing than that of the triple?

So, please, if the price were equal which would you buy?

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!!!!!!

THANKS

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Triple Pane Advantages:
Lower u-value, less conductive heat loss/transfer through the windows
Usually 2 surfaces of Low-E, so less radiant heat transfer esp good in the summer

Triple Pane Disadvantages:
Sometimes the max window size is smaller due to weight restrictions
Less visible light makes it through the window, so it is slightly darker inside

In St Louis, you could live just fine without triple pane (there are very few days way below freezing, for example). Having triple will reduce your utility bills slightly, but it probably wouldn't "pay off" in $ terms for many years. If you can live with the slight loss in visible light, and do not have huge windows where triple isn't available, and money isn't an issue, triple might be an option for you. But, you'll find almost nobody in the area has them, because they are not even close to a necessity. A good double-pane, LowE, argon window (installed properly) will make you very happy, most likely.