Reasonable installation cost?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bosox

Reasonable installation cost?

#1 Post by bosox »

I have decided on 9 windows plus a new sliding door for my small rancher. I was going to install them myself, but I have been told that my house will be difficult because of A. late 70s construction where the frames are nailed in and not screwed in (steel windows), and B. i have aluminum siding.

I am considering having them installed, and I really have no idea what is a reasonable price to install 9 replacement windows and the sliding door. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? I have Lowes (where I picked out my windows) coming out to give me an estimate for installation, but I will probably get a couple of more estimates also. I really do not want to spend a lot of money on installing $3100 worth of windows, but it might be worth it to avoid the aggravation that my house may present.

Profx

#2 Post by Profx »

fellow red sox fan, It would be best to let someone else handle your installation. The aluminum windows you have probably have an operating bottom sash and a stationary top glass that is glued in and will either have to be heat-gunned to pop out or broken. then the frame pried up in the center of the sill, cut with a hacksaw, and the rest of the frame pried out of the opening. Which can be somewhat difficult sometimes even with an experienced installer. Also your house being aluminum siding instead of brick(which is where you usually see these windows) constitutes its own problems such as the aluminum "j" channel pulling off and being damaged as you pry the frames. At the most with exterior capping no more than $75 per window and the sliding door which 9 times out of 10 can be done in an hour or 2, no more than $175. So I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I charged you more than 850-900 dollars total.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

I would disagree with the aforementioned quotes. To begin with, every install is different and really can't be quoted so generally. If you live in Boston, or anywhere on the East coast the cost of doing business is much higher. A somewhat basic install in that area will probably be closer to $150+ per opening with capping. You should understand that the installer you select (if not the window provider), will be placed in a potential position of liability if anything goes wrong for any reason. The installer will then probably blame the supplier... and vice versa... and you have a headache.

I suggest either accepting the responsibility yourself knowing full well that the supplier will contest any claims... or hire an outfit that will provide both product, installation and warrantied future service.

Good Luck

FenEx

Profx

#4 Post by Profx »

Very true, I apologize. I spoke having no experience outside my geographic area, I'm sure in larger cities, prices are higher due to cost-of-living...and such. And yes the installer would be liable if anything was to go wrong, that's why it's important to make sure they have general liability insurance, workers compensation ins., and best if there licensed and bonded. And the price I quoted was $10 more than what Lowe's charges in my area for retrofit install. But I'd say Lowe's charges a pretty penny in Boston...surely inflated over my area. I think Guy contracts for Lowes, are the prices different from town-to-town?

bosox

#5 Post by bosox »

thanks for the feedback, guys. as far as the differences in price geographically, i live in south jersey between philly and atlantic city. everything is WAY cheaper here than in boston, where i am originally from and where i have several relatives.

real estate costs 2.5 times as much in the boston area as it does in my area, and my aunt up there has had work done to her house where my eyes popped out of my head when she told me how much she paid.

i'm hoping the cost is around what you first mentioned, profx. i could definitely live with that. the price mentioned by fenex would be more than i really would like to spend. $1500 to install $3100 worth of windows is too rich for my blood.

thanks again, guys.

bosox

installer in south jersey

#6 Post by bosox »

anyone know of a reasonable installer in the south jersey area? lowes wanted a ridiculous amount of money to install the windows.

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

The prices do change from one place to another. I know we get more here than Chicago charges. I'm not sure what they get out East. I know the standard installation here at Lowes is $165.00 for just the installation. We charge $175.00 per window for capping on the average (materials included), $15.00 per window for Haul Away and extra for any type of stops applied. Patio Doors on the average cost a base fee of $650 and usually another $300 for capping, ext. jambs and all the other misc. items we need. One thing our Lowes does here is they let us pre-bid all our work out ahead of time. We get to pre-measure our jobs in advance so we can find all the issues we will be dealing with. I love this store here in MN. They are great people with a great knowledge of what we as installers go through in a day. They read through the customers who put words in our mouth or say we did something we didn't do. They don't believe in the "Customer Is Always Right" bunch of BS we as installers deal with on a daily basis. Now I'm not stating that all customers are bad here. 95% of all our customers are good honest people I'd trust anywhere. But there is that other 5% that want everything for free and will file a lawsuit at the drop of a dime. To those people who prey on others just to save a buck!! Stay away from me or "It's On Like Donkey Kong". I'll be the first one back to the job site if there is any complaint or issue. Most the time it's a miscommunication somewhere in the line that can be corrected very easily and fast. But I'll stand toe to toe if I feel I'm being cheated in any way. Here's an example: I put a storm door on for a former company I worked for and won't mention (Home Depot) oops. We had a terrible wind storm the next day and the customer was walking out the door and the wind blew the door out of her hand and wrapped it around the house. THis damaged the storm door and the entry door by ripping the screws out of the door frame and tearing pieces of the frame out of the wall. Most would say it was an act of God or Mother Nature. Not this lady. She said it was a bad install and wanted everything replaced at my expense. The Store Manager agreed and sent someone else out to do the work. They then back charged me $1200.00. Now put that one in your portfolio and stew awhile!! Needless to say it didn't stick with the brass in Georgia. So now you see what we deal with daily. This is why most of the DIY stores have a tough time keeping good installers. We are just blessed with a good program and staff here. So be very selective on your installer and ask any question you want. There is no such thing as a dumb question!!!! Good Luck!!!