should I be paying this much?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
landlord2b

should I be paying this much?

#1 Post by landlord2b »

One of the quotes I received for 11 Alside Sheffield glider windows was $8560, including installation. This seems high to me, based on the prices I've seen online and on this forum ($250-$400 per window). I'm in the Baltimore-Washington market. What is the typical price, for this window- not including installation?... I want to compare it to what this contractor is charging me. And do you think this price is fair? {I was going to paste a link to my first post here- which includes more details- but it seems to have mysteriously dissappeared.}

Tackleberry

Re: should I be paying this much?

#2 Post by Tackleberry »

landlord2b wrote:One of the quotes I received for 11 Alside Sheffield glider windows was $8560, including installation. This seems high to me, based on the prices I've seen online and on this forum ($250-$400 per window). I'm in the Baltimore-Washington market. What is the typical price, for this window- not including installation?... I want to compare it to what this contractor is charging me. And do you think this price is fair? {I was going to paste a link to my first post here- which includes more details- but it seems to have mysteriously dissappeared.}
I am no expert and shopping as well, but I am certain that most will tell you that is WAY too much for sheffield windows. For that much money, you could potentiall have Schuco windows.

rippowam

#3 Post by rippowam »

I just got my Sheffields installed. Obviously, I haven't had the winter weather yet, but I'm very happy with the solid feel of the windows and hardware, and they look great too.

Only time will tell if I'm as happy as I think I'll be in the longterm.

To answer your question, as I mentioned before, the prices I received (which you're mentioning) were from Window World.

Their 6000 series window is the Sheffield (as least here). Installed with LowE, Argon, double thick glass and in white, their sliders or doublehungs are at $299. Once you add the cost of grids, aluminum window removal, an extra coating of lowE, etc, the price will bump up to about $400-425 installed.

They are more than willing to install the Sheffield for a SET PRICE, you do not HAVE to buy any options. It's not bait and switch at all. In fact, my local WW told me that there were certain options "not worth it" for our climate. As with everything, every dealership/salesman is different from the next.

At least with Window World, you can SEE their prices on a pre-printed price list...as oppposed to having a saleslizard size you up to see how much he can soak you for.

I encourage you to get prices from WW. If they run their franchise like mine here, you're all set.

Good luck.

PS: Many Window World haters love to talk about how lousy WW's installers are. Well, the entire crew I got was hardworking, honest, paid attention to detail and all around helpful guys. Would I consider them "craftsmen", well, no. But they did a good job from all that I could see. They caulked better than I could, they insulated, Windexed, vaccumed, etc. In short, they did what I expected them to do, without me having to ask them to do something right. When they left, they said "call us anytime you have an issue, thank you for your business". So much for a couple of yahoos who can't hold a hammer.....like some would like folks to believe they will ALWAYS get from WW.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I have been one who has pointed out the price differences WW installers get compared to others in my area, though I by no means have any ill will towards their company. The installers get about 1/3 what others do in my area, which is my basis for telling people to potentially expect a less than perfect installation.

That does not mean you can't get a decent install from WW though. I do know my local WW does have one guy who does a real nice job. He's real fast and makes up for less pay by doing higher volume. The other two crews they have are both crews that haven't made it anywhere else in town.

There are plenty of horrible installers getting top dollar too. Getting paid a lot doesn't guarantee a good job from the installer at all. All I meant is that in a statistical analysis, installers who work for 1/3 the going rate are probably not going to be the best installers in town. Just my opinion.

rippowam

#5 Post by rippowam »

Window4U-

I agree with you.

I wasn't singling you out (hope you didn't think that), I was merely pointing out that "some" posters here NEVER have a good world to say about Window World.

If they don't put down the actual window product, they put down the installation.

In my one-time experience, I feel that my install is "good" and my product is "very good". That's sufficient for me, especially when I saved more than 50%.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I didn't think you were singling me out or even thinking of me.....I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I am happy that your install went well. It's always great to hear positive results.

riddlewh

#7 Post by riddlewh »

rippowam wrote:In my one-time experience, I feel that my install is "good" and my product is "very good". That's sufficient for me, especially when I saved more than 50%.
That is what it comes down to in the end, are you happy with the product for the price you paid?