need input on some quotes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Cork55

need input on some quotes

#1 Post by Cork55 »

I have received 2 quotes so far with a third scheduled for tonight.

I am planning on replacing 5 - 36"x54" double hung windows.

My first quote was for $3,626 for vinyl replacement windows. This is for Preservation windows.

My second quote was for $3,730 for fiberglass windows. This is for Fiberframe windows.

My initial thoughts are that these seem a tad bit high, but I am not sure about this.

I could use some input on this.

Thanks.

-Cork55

riddlewh

#2 Post by riddlewh »

Where do you live? based on a couple of quotes I got in the Lewiston/Auburn area of Maine, those prices seem high to me. We got quotes of $4800 to $5600 on Harvey "Classic" windows installed, for 17 34"x64" and one 50"x64"

Home Depot quoted us $11000 on the same windows, My brother-in-law got a quote of $7000 for 17 windows of about the same size from a different company (also Harvey "Classics").

All windows were Lowe/Argon filled.

Cork55

#3 Post by Cork55 »

I live in southern Wisconsin.

-Cork55

Paneless

Price...

#4 Post by Paneless »

Both prices seem in-line of what a quality windows should run, however I would consider looking into windows that have the following, so long as you’re in that price range:

1. Triple Glass
2. Krypton Gas
3. Soft-Coat Low E
4. Either Intercept or TPS spacer.
5. Steel re-enforced

The above features are all available in certain windows in that price range and given your location I would give them all serious consideration.

Cork55

Re: Price...

#5 Post by Cork55 »

Paneless wrote:Both prices seem in-line of what a quality windows should run, however I would consider looking into windows that have the following, so long as you’re in that price range:

1. Triple Glass
2. Krypton Gas
3. Soft-Coat Low E
4. Either Intercept or TPS spacer.
5. Steel re-enforced

The above features are all available in certain windows in that price range and given your location I would give them all serious consideration.
The windows in the two quotes I have received both have Low-E glass with Argon gas, SST spacers and are double panes. The preservation window frames are also reinforced with some sort of non-metal reinforcing rods. The Fiberglass frames are not reinforced.

I have a third company coming out tonight. This company sells windows that are made by Alside (Ultimate 2000).

-Cork55.

Cork55

#6 Post by Cork55 »

Got my final quote on the Ultimate 2000 windows. The price was $2982 for the 5 windows installed.

Now it is decision time.

-Cork55

Paneless

Argon vs Krypton

#7 Post by Paneless »

Argon Vs Krypton

There is a huge difference between the two not only in the elements themselves but particularly the way they are introduced to IG glass.

Krypton to far superior and in the price range you are in would be something to insist on.

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

Please inform. Just how are they so vastly different (aside from atomic weight and density) in regards to their introduction?

Paneless

With pleasure....

#9 Post by Paneless »

My pleasure

Basically there are several ways to insert gas, be it Argon or Krypton into an insulated glass unit. The two most common are:

1. Valve
2. Volume

The first method introduces a valve to an already made IG unit. This is the least desirable way for multiple reasons the greatest being you are also introducing a way for leakage via the valve.

Calculating the size of the IG unit then by use of a tubes injecting, or more accurately “pouringâ€

FenEx

#10 Post by FenEx »

Well... the jello/tree thing was a little over the top but you still avoided the original question. The introduction of "either" gas is dependant upon the manufacturer. Pin filling (valve) systems can insert either gas, with virtually the same percentage of effectiveness. Granted, it is NOT measured per completed unit by volume. Vacuum chambers remove all undesired elements and provide replacement gas/fill to completely fill voids... although stating 100% is not allowed due to possible impurities.

Cork55

#11 Post by Cork55 »

From what I have been able to determine as far as Alside windows are concerned, their model heirarchy is something like this:

Excalibur < UltraMax < Ultimate 2000 < Sheffield < Preservation.

I went to a web site that has their dealer info on it and I could not see much difference between the Ultimate 2000 and the Sheffield series.

The main differences appear to be in the sill design and the standard spacer type. The Sheffield series offers the SST spacer with an option for the PPG while the Ultimate 2000 is exactly the opposite. The Sheffield also has a slightly higher DP rating.

Based on this, I am now considering the Preservation series and the Ultimate 2000 series where Alside is concerned. The Ultimate 2000 windows are about $125 less installed per window so their price is more attractive considering I am on a budget. I might see if I can get the Ultimate 2000 windows with the SST spacer.

The other main difference is the balance system. The preservation uses the block & tackle system while the Ultimate 2000 uses the constant force system. What are the pros and cons of these two systems?

-Cork55

windowrep

#12 Post by windowrep »

alside windows

centurion-genova-excaliber-ultramaxx-sheffield-preservation

any 1000,2000.7000.alpha.bravo or other name is put on by the contractor.
at least that is what they were called 3 years ago.

Cork55

#13 Post by Cork55 »

I forgot about the Centurion and the Geneva lines.

The Ultimate 2000 windows are made for ABC Siding and are based on the Ultramax series.

On paper, the Alside windows look fine. I would really like an additional choice in the $600 - $700 range.

-Cork55

Paneless

Okiee dokiee

#14 Post by Paneless »

FenEx:

You answered your own question, atomic weight and density is the “vastâ€

Cork55

#15 Post by Cork55 »

For the record, we selected the Alside Ultimate 2000 windows. I will post again after the windows are installed with a report on how things went.

-Cork55