need advise installing windows in Chicago area.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nagsen0

need advise installing windows in Chicago area.

#1 Post by nagsen0 »

I live in Chicago North west subs (Schaumburg). I would like to replace 21 windows that are about 30 years old.

I got couple of quote from sears ($13,000) for their simonton windows and last week I got a quote from renewel by Anderson for about ($18000).

From what I read so far, Sears always quote more and anderson is the top quality window.

Here are my questions:
1. Are the price quoted by Sears and Anderson are fair? I hate to pay more.
2. Why sears is cheaper than Anderson? quality?
3. My first concern is energy efficient windows. who is the best for the buck in chicago area?

I am very new home owner and new to home improvement industry.

Please advise,
Last edited by nagsen0 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlee

#2 Post by jlee »

I am in about same situation with you. I had three quotes; Gilkey, Champion, and Illinois Exteriors (Sunrise windows). They were all good windows in my opinion and ranged between 12k and 13k for 23 double hung. I am not just sure if I need to have these expensive windows or find some cheaper windows.
Anderson you had quoted is wood window, so it's a different animal which usually cost more. If you find some good source, let me know.

Windycitybuyer

#3 Post by Windycitybuyer »

Whatever you do stay away from the Champion branch in Chicago, speaking from personal experience we had a horrible experience there. Honesty is not what the branch manager is known for. :evil:

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

There are several of us here that service the Chicagoland market but the forum rules and admin prohibit solicitation.

nagsen0

Re: Reply

#5 Post by nagsen0 »

FenEx wrote:There are several of us here that service the Chicagoland market but the forum rules and admin prohibit solicitation.

The most important thing for me is:

1. Energy efficient, increase in Home value - i.e. ROI.
2. Quality windows for affordable proice range. I do not want to change my windows again.
3. Good warranty and Customer service
4. Good Installation.

I know it is very difficult to get them all.
Last edited by nagsen0 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

nagsen0

#6 Post by nagsen0 »

jlee wrote:I am in about same situation with you. I had three quotes; Gilkey, Champion, and Illinois Exteriors (Sunrise windows). They were all good windows in my opinion and ranged between 12k and 13k for 23 double hung. I am not just sure if I need to have these expensive windows or find some cheaper windows.
Anderson you had quoted is wood window, so it's a different animal which usually cost more. If you find some good source, let me know.

I don't think Champion is a good choice. Sears was OK because of their warranty (lifetime) and Some time I like their customer service in other departments like electronics. but I am not sure how good their after work services when it comes to Windows.