Alside window questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Cork55

Alside window questions

#1 Post by Cork55 »

I am currently looking at two different Alside window models. They are the Ultimate 2000 series and the Preservation series. Both of these series are made exclusively for their respective dealers.

I have looked long and hard at the window specs and these are the differences that I have found. Just how important are these items and which ones should I focus more on.

1. Sill type. The Ultimate 2000 has a pocket sill and the Preservation has a sloped pocket sill. I am reading that the pocket sill design is outdated and has issues.

2. Spacer. The Ultimate 2000 comes standard with the intercept spacer with an option to get the SST spacer. The Preservation comes with the SST spacer. I am gathering from this board that the SST spacer is the way to go.

3. Balances. The Ultimate 2000 comes with a constant force balance. The Preservation comes with a block and tackle balance. I have read that both types have had issues.

4. Glass pack thickness. The Ultimate 2000 looks to be 13/16" while the Preservation is 1".

The U-values, SHGC ratings and DP ratings for both of these windows are very similar so they are not much of a concern.

The installed price for the Ultimate 2000 is about $600 per window and the Preservation is about $725 per window. These prices are for 36"x54" double pane low-E glass filled with argon, double hung windows.

I keep seeing the Sheffield line mentioned as being the superior alside brand but I do not think they are sold in my area (Madison, WI) and after looking at their specs, the only difference that I could see (without having any other info) was that they have a sloped sill design. I do not know at this time what their spacer is or what type of blanace they use.

I would like to know if any of you who deal with windows have had any experience with either of these two windows. If so, what are your thoughts?

I would also like to know if anyone could reccomend any other window models that will be in the $600 - $700 per window price range.

Thanks.

-Cork55

rippowam

#2 Post by rippowam »

Hi-

I just had the Sheffields installed last week. I'm very pleased with my purchase. The SST Space, grids, extra LowE, etc are available as a $30 each (or so) option, it's made with the Intercept spacer. It comes standard with Double thick glass, LowE and Argon. I bought it for about $425 per hole installed.

The Preservation is supposed to be their top of the line, but it's available on a limited basis. I'm not familiar with the other window you mentioned.

Go to the Alside website for complete info.

Good Luck.