Need help with choosing replacement windows for FL home

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HDClown

Need help with choosing replacement windows for FL home

#1 Post by HDClown »

Hello all, I live in Orlando, FL and am looking for replacement windows for my wood frame/stucco home. My #1 goal with replacement windows is better energy efficiency. My 25 year old single pane aluminum windows don't cut it anymore.

After that goal, I have a mix of other requirements: High pressure ratings..ideally meeting Miami-Dade County requirements, not just FL Building Code. Decent look, little maintenance, won't start falling apart in 2 years. I don't want yellowing and peeling vinyl.

I don't really USE my windows. It's hot in Orlando. My house stays closed up about 300 days a year, if not more, with the A/C running.

I have 8 windows and 2 sliding glass doors. Window sizes are: 3 @ 37x77, 1 @ 37x50, 1 @ 53x50, 1 @ 37x50, 1@ 53x38, 1 @ 53x38, 1 @ 50x68 (slider), 1 @ 60x68 (slider)

I had Home Depot come out and quote on the Simonton 6500. THey wanted, $10,900. No thanks.

I've spoke with 4 local companies. 3 of them have been in business over 20 years, and one of them about 10.

I've priced aluminum and vinyl, and results are as follows, all prices are installed. Home is wood/stucco construction.

PGT Aluminum, Single Hung, 4000 series, single hung, dual pane insulated, low E on all windows, removable sash - $6100
PGT Vinyl, Single Hung, 5400 series(?), dual pane, low E on all windows, tilt in sash - $7600
Silver Line Vinyl, Single Hung, 2700 series, dual pane, argon filled, low E on all windows, tild in sash - $5225
Milestone Aluminum, Single Hung, 2000 series, dual pane insulated, low E on all windows, tilt in sash - $6000

I also have a price of $6500 for another aluminum product, but I don't know the brand. I having a feeling it's PGT again. I've gotten a price on Simonton Vinyl at about $7500-7800 as well, but I don't know the series.

As you can see, I'm looking at Vinyl and Aluminum. I like the $5-6000 price range. The $7500 range is more then I care to spend.

I'm not looking for Wood windows of any kind, be it on the inside, or the outside. Wood is just not a standard option here in FL anyway. Aluminum is #1, and then Vinyl. That's really the way it seems. Vinyl windows look nicer, but, in general, cost more.

The company that sells Silver Line is a dealer of 22 different brands of windows. He can do PGT and Simonton to name a few other popular names, but I did not get prices as of yet. He came out right away with Silver Line windows. I don't know much about them aside from Silver Line was purchased by Andersen and they are a good deal cheaper then Simonton and PGT, who I know, make a good Vinyl window. The main reaosn I'm considering vinyl at all now is because of this Silver Line price, because, as I said earlier, I don't want to spend $7500+ on windows when I can get a high quality aluminium for $6000.

So, I'm leaning towards getting the Silver Line. There is very little info I can find on the internet. I found a few comments from people who had them back in the 80s and hated them, but that's old news now.

The Silver Line window is the new construction 2700 series. Meets Miami-Dade requrements, Low E2, dual pane (5/8" thick), fusion welded sash and frames, block and tackle balances and meeting rail, 100% virgin vinyl with UV inhibitor. Spec wise, it's very similar to PGT and Simonton Vinyl (and various aluminium products).

The company offering these provides a lifetime warranty on their labor. Combined with the lifetime on the window, the owner of the company told me they take care of any problem I'd ever have, and don't pass me off to the manufacturer to have to worry about getting the warranty work covered, so it sounds like a safe bet.

What do you think I should do?

arthur37

#2 Post by arthur37 »

I understand your situation. You want to get a window that is going to give you the best quality, best service @ the lowest possible investment. The only thig is, no one can offer you all 3 and for your long term happiness which one are you most likely to sacrafice? Quality, Service or Price. You said the main thing you want to do is save energy, but a few paragraphs later you said you can get a high quality aluminum for 6k, and you never use your windows. But you actually use those windows 24hrs a day. Their are 3 main things your windows do and even a lot of new windows do that cost you money. The first is Infiltrarion, any window that opens is going to have some type of infiltrartion to it. If you don't get a thick mil vinyl and the frame flexes and torks when it is installed your going to get more later down the road. The 2nd is conduction and this is where aluminum windows should be out of the question for you even if they are free. The fact that glass is a conductor. If you touch the wall and the window at the same time which is colder? The glass every time. The 3rd problem is Radiant Energy (the movement of energy through a space) for instance you take a frozen chicken breast out of the freezer and sit it on the counter and go to work. What happens? The warm air around it is attracted to the cold thawing it out. Well the same thing happens w/ your windows. Cold air attracts Hot air. So the glass of your windows will allow all the radiant energy and conduction to come right through it. There are probably rooms in you house that are different temps at different time of the day. Especially in FL. where it is always hot the type of glass should be your main concern. There are only a few ways to assemble frames and sashes (mechanical corner, fusion welds, etc.) but that only consists of 20% of the whole window, the other 80% is glass. You should look at a company that has Miracle Glass from The Window Pros. It is Miami Dade approved, impact resistant, has a full lifetime warranty for labor, parts, and service and they also offer a 40% utility guarantee. If you can get a window that will cut your utilities in half and increase your property value to its max its a good investment reguardless of the price. It may not be the cheapest out of pocket expense, but down the road you will be happy. What are you going to do if you spend 7500 on windows that in 4-6years may not have seal failure, but since the argon will disapate out of the window you are about 50 to 60% effective as you were on day one? Don't shop by price alone.....