Replacing windows in Kansas City, Missouri

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pet575

Replacing windows in Kansas City, Missouri

#1 Post by pet575 »

I have a set of 3 fixed windows mounted about 10 feet high in my living room, which has approximately an 18 foot ceiling. They appear to be 3 separate windows installed side-by-side and then capped or mulled together (I don't know if I'm using the correct term).

The existing windows are aluminum, were originally installed in the house (7 years old), and now leak water at the seal where the glass meets the aluminum.

I have tried clear silicone caulking to seal the actual place (the little black rubbery stuff-manufacturer's seal?) where the window is leaking, but to no avail. I've concluded, with the help of a contractor, that the windows probably need to be replaced. I'm experienced in successfully replacing double-hung windows, but I'm wondering if this particular job is too big for a do-it-yourselfer?

Mostly concerned about how to mull/cap/whatever the two joints between these 3 windows. I don't want to end up having to have someone come out and fix my screw-ups.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

squeege

#2 Post by squeege »

pet575,

Wow. Anytime I ever hear anyone say "water leak" I try to steer them away from doing it themselves. Aluminum windows have a tendency to leak at the mulls, due to their high expansion/contraction rate. Many sealants that were used on mull joints +/- 10 years ago can't keep up with the aluminum movement and fail.

If your windows have been leaking for more than 6 months to a year, you could have the start of some dry rot (Never understood that term, by the way. Dry rot is always caused by wet conditions...) which may also need to be repaired professionally. Find a reputable contractor and have him take a look. Please don't let me scare you though, it could be a simple fix. Just remember that your home is the single largest investment you will ever make. Protect it the best you can. Good luck.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Chances are the windows are mulled together, without any wood between them at all. Depending on the overall dimensions, the new windows can possibly be ordered pre-mulled from the factory.

If the windows cannot be factory mulled due to size limitations or safety concerns, you should hire a professional for the job, IMO.