Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Softlite Vs. Vista Windows
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:25 pm 

Hello all,

I have estimates for softlite and Vista windows and both are around the 380-400/ window range. Does anyone have an opinion on either of the company's products or services. Ny help is appreciated. Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Softlite Vs. Vista Windows
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:02 am 

jsun25 wrote:
Hello all,

I have estimates for softlite and Vista windows and both are around the 380-400/ window range. Does anyone have an opinion on either of the company's products or services. Ny help is appreciated. Thanks...

Vista & Softlite only deals with contractors. So it's important you are comfortable with the contractor.

Both companies have a low grade window and a mid grade window.

I recently had Vista windows installed in my house........20 windows for approx $400 each. Make sure you get Vista's panorama window, its a mid-grade window........I find them very similar to Simonton's 5500. I'm very happy with the quality of my Vista windows........I upgraded to superspacers.

I can't speak for Softlite, I went to their site and it seems like they offer a low-grade and a mid-grade window. IMO, Vista's windows look to be of a similar quality, but it's hard to tell from a web-site.

Just make sure you are geting similar features from each company..........Fusion welded Frames, Double pane, argon low E glass....etc. Vista does use Veka vinyl extrusions......which, Imo opinion is very important. Veka is top-notch, not all vinyl is the same.

I would check the installation of some prior customers and find out if they were happy with the installation.

Post subject: Softlite is a very good company
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:55 am 

As a contractor I have been pleased with Softlite windows as they offer most of the highest end options available including krypton-filled panes, triple-glazing, super-spacer... Do the dollar bill test to see how tight your potential window is. Simply place a dollar bill in the sash and close it. Compare to see how easily (or not) you can pull it out. It may sound simplistic (it is) but simply comparing R and U values is not all there is to a window. Air infiltration is an important key. Consider warranty (Softlite's is top-notch) as well.

http://www.replacement-windows.com/top- ... turers.php says the following regarding Softlite:

"The manufacturer focuses on high-quality, custom-made vinyl windows and doors, as well as innovative support services designed to make its customers leaders in their markets. Soft-Lite has earned three Window & Door Crystal Achievement Awards, the Friedman Customer of the Year Award and the coveted Pat Summerall Champion of Industry Award."

From my contractor experience (I have worked with many) I prefer Softlite.