Andersen vs Paradigm

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
randy

Re: Andersen vs Paradigm

#16 Post by randy »

I agree that the manufacturer's warranty was no doubt voided by the improper installation. The one who should bear the primary wrath here is the builder who should be tarred and feathered. With the shoddy workmanship demonstrated in the video, what are the odds that the windows were even installed square and plumb as required to properly shed water?

That's not to excuse Paradigm windows, as I know nothing about the company or their products. However, I do think that 99% of the issues with the windows are most likely due to the builder's failure to properly install, flash and seal them.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#17 Post by masterext »

I think you made a huge mistake by not accepting Paradigm's offer to install new windows. This is clearly a shoddy install by a shoddy builder and i highly doubt the courts would award you anything from the window company.
This is another great example as to why a company who SPECIALIZES in windows should always be chosen to do windows opposed to a builder or " the guy that does everything".
Best of luck .

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#18 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Just watched the video and I'm just shocked at the level of problems you have with this beautiful new home. Inexcusable amateurism by the trades involved. I hope that when this is all over you can be made whole and can finally relax and enjoy your beautiful home.

As far as the windows, yes the manufacturer is partially to blame for the damages if the windows have small leaks in the corners. The key word is partially. The blame should also be spread out in varying percentages to the window installation (a very large percentage), the framing, the stucco, the flashing, etc.

The offer from Paradigm was very fair but not complete. I think that if you would have tried to work out a percentage of responsibility with them for the damages to the home instead of trying to get them for the entire $300K worth of damages, you might have come to a fair resolution with them. I don't see how they could ever be found to be 100% responsible for all the damages given the multitude of other reasons the walls were leaking.
One only has to look at your sopping wet moldy chimney to see that the windows are not the only reason for the water issues. Your video tells the story. There's not one window in the chimney and yet it has the same or even more water damage and mold as the rest of the home.
Because of this I understand their decision to walk away and let the courts decide their level of responsibility. I wouldn't agree to pay all the damages for something I was only fractionally responsible for either. I can fault Paradigm Windows for making a faulty seam on the window, but I can't fault them for their generous offer or for refusing to pay for ALL the damages.

My opinion based on what I have seen in the video is that their responsibility should have been to provide new windows, and pay for about 10% of the damages. They offered to have them installed too which is a nice addition to have.

This all of course is only one man' opinion. The judge will have the final say.
Good luck to you...

bgbrock

#19 Post by bgbrock »

WOW!!

Where were the building inspectors during the construction process? Did they sign-off on any of this slip shod work?

Did you pay to have a home inspection (3rd party) completed, and pass, prior to closing? This one could have saved you a TON of money, not to mention the headaches.

Hope things work out for you.

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#20 Post by VRWAdmin »

Where were the building inspectors during the construction process?
Thats the first thing that struck us, especially concerning the installation of the deck.

Lots of blame to go around - and as they say you learn a lot more about people (and companies) when things go bad than when things are good. There is quite an environment for "making right".

We are genuinely sorry to see someone go through an ordeal of this nature and magnitude, and hope you will keep all posted as things develop.

Ed's

p.s. here is a direct link to the video: http://youtu.be/wiR9oVA2jE0

mfischer00

#21 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment
Last edited by mfischer00 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like you are in for a prolonged battle Marilyn. I think that I can safely speak for the entire community here when I say I hope that this is resolved for you as expeditiously as possible, and that the parties that are truly at fault are able to be held accountable.