Window options in the St. Louis, MO area

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
hid-perf

Window options in the St. Louis, MO area

#1 Post by hid-perf »

I've been trying to shop around for replacement windows but I'm getting very frustrated. I have an all brick house built in 1908 that has some OLD Pella wood windows in it now and they're done. I'm going on my 4th bid and I'm about to give up.

First company was highly recommended by a co-worker. The sales rep was friendly and helpful in suggesting ideas on not only windows but other projects I'm currently working on. The bid was in my hands promptly but when I asked what kind of windows they were using he said, "I don't really know. Whatever this company (his supplier) sells." How can you work a bid and not have any idea what you're using? And, he couldn't even break it down so I knew what I was paying for. It was just a lump sum for all the windows and a new entry door. I took it upon myself to call the company it turns out they're using Atrium 8700 replacement windows. Seems like a good product and I actually went to the showroom to check them out.

Second company was a similar story. I didn't even bother since they wanted 5,500.00 to put a new entry door in. Again, no mention of what kind of windows or a break down of prices.

Third was Lowes. What killed that deal was the installer. I got a really bad vibe from him and that's all it took.

The last company is coming this weekend. Castlerock remodeling or something like that. Seen a sign on the highway and called on a whim.

So, any consumers on here have any recommendation for a reputable installer who handles a good product? I'm not looking for top of the line, but I don't want junk either.

Thanks,

Steve

JTXX

finding good windows plus a god contractor in st louis

#2 Post by JTXX »

I just finished having 22 windows replaced in my house in St Louis county and went through much of what you are currently experiencing. I used this very forum and found it extremely helpful in acquiring useful information on specific window brands. After weeks of research and talking with numerous local window dealers I arrived at my final descion which was the Marvin Infinity Fiberglass window. These windows are a bit more expensive than vinyl windows but in my opinion are worth every penny. I used a local contractor who I have known for several years and used for other projects in and around my home. I have complete faith in this contractor plus he was significantly cheaper on the installation costs than Marvin. The name of his company is Styleside and can be reached at 636-677-9905, cell 314-517-3192. If you prefer a vinyl window he normally recommends Simonton which my research revealed to be a very good window. I highly recommend this contractor....you will find him to be honest and very good at what he does.

JTXX

hid-perf

#3 Post by hid-perf »

Thanks a bunch. I will give him a call first thing this week.

cig

#4 Post by cig »

JTXX,

Thanks for the info.
I am evaluating replacement windows now for my parents house in St. Louis County and am seriously considering Marvin Infinity Fiberglass Windows. Are you still happy with them and with their installation?
Did you purchase them through the Marvin Store? If not, where?
I did put a call into your installer and am waiting for a call back right now.

Thank you for your help.