RJT Industries- Earthwise Windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
BKA

RJT Industries- Earthwise Windows

#1 Post by BKA »

I have a contractor that wants to give me an estimate on windows made by RJT Industries in Northern Virginia. Does anyone know anything about this company and the quality of their windows and customer service?

I will be looking at replacement windows with low E, argon, doublehung and grids in between the glass.

Thanks

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

RJT Earthwise window is junk IMO. I'd rate it below the Alside Excalibur. I haven't seen one for a few years but they used spiral balance iirc and the sashes didn't fit the frame very well, lots of play between them. I didn't care much for the overall appearance of the window either. It just looks cheap to me.

BKA

Earthwise windows-RJT Industries

#3 Post by BKA »

Skydawggy wrote:

RJT Earthwise window is junk IMO. I'd rate it below the Alside Excalibur. I haven't seen one for a few years but they used spiral balance iirc and the sashes didn't fit the frame very well, lots of play between them. I didn't care much for the overall appearance of the window either. It just looks cheap to me.

Thank you for your opinion Skydawggy. I had not heard of Earthwise windows before yesterday. I did go on their website and noticed they use constant force balances- but their product pictures on the web are very nondescript- I couldn't make out the appearances of the windows inside or out. The contractor is going to bring brochures by within the week- but, I am most likely going to get prices on the Simonton 5500 which is mentioned quite often on this forum.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Earthwise window is very average at best. They have switched to a constant force sometime ago but beyond that, the window is very mediocre

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

BKA

Tell them to bring by an actual sample of the window. Brochures can be very misleading.

BKA

Thanks for the comments

#6 Post by BKA »

I will ask not only for samples, but, if he has done jobs in my area with these windows- will seek references. He also told me that they use superspacer as well.

thanks again

Scotsman

Re: RJT Industries- Earthwise Windows

#7 Post by Scotsman »

Someone told me about this posting and I found it quite at odds with my experience. Over the past couple years several neighbors and myself have had Earthwise windows made by RJT installed and found them to be very effective and all the salesman said they would be. They run about $500 each pretty much loaded. We used a local contractor in Springfield.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are vastly better windows for $500 a window.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Gee... Samantha I was just showing your post to someone I met a few months ago and she said it reminded her of something like...spam or something like that.

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#10 Post by VRWAdmin »

That’s pretty weak “Samantha”, thanks for thinking the people who run, and visit this board are idiots.

VRW Adim

rafroots

#11 Post by rafroots »

Hi,
I live in the Washington DC/ Baltimore area. Looking for basic double hung vinyl replacement windows for my 40 year old house. We are looking at 14 windows total, and a replacement patio door. I got quotes from 4 places, one of them being WeatherMaster, a Baltimore company. They have a window called the Insulator 8170, which they apparently designed and had Earthwise manufacture for them. The window appears to be pretty good, with 3 layers of low E, argon gas, constant force balances, fiberglass filled frame & sash extrusions, and the part I like best is a non-limited lifetime warranty that includes labor, is non-prorated, and includes glass breakage, and U rating of .26. The quote was $433/window, and the patio door is $1050 (for a Slocumb Industries door). Weathermaster has a good rating with the BBB and has been in business for 25 years, one of my neighbors had their windows installed by them 5 years ago and recommended them.

I also got a quote for the Bryn Mawr II that is right in the same range; only 1 layer of low E and argon gas. the quote i got was $400/apiece and the patio door is an Anderson for $1650. They would be installed by Patriot home improvement, a local company that one of our neighbors reviewed highly. the Bryn Mawr warranty doesn't include glass breakage.

These 2 quotes are within $100 of each other when you factor in the door price. all of these are installed prices, including the cladding, etc.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to which way to go. based on my unprofessional research, the Insulator seems to be a better window, but the guy might have just done a better sales job. I have at least heard of the Bryn Mawr II, and consumer reports rates it as an OK window. the Insulator seems better, and has a much better warranty, but I haven't heard that many great things about Earthwise.

Should I keep looking? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bryn Mawr is a better window.

Also, the U-value that they are quoting is Center of glass on that window. If anybody uses that number, they are typically trying to mislead the customer.