Windows for San Diego

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
lagreca

Windows for San Diego

#1 Post by lagreca »

I am looking to replace the windows in my 1975 stucco house. There are 8 windows and 2 sliders.

Window sizes are as follows (in inches):
46x46
70x41
94x34
34x22
34x22
70x34
70x34
94x45
and two sliders
71 3/4 x 79 1/2
95 3/4 x 79 1/2

I have had a few estimates, ranging from $22,000 to $7,320.

I'm not sure which brand of windows to get. I've talked to a window installer who told me Milgard was the best bang for your buck. But tonight the lady from Home Depot who came out to give me a quote kept telling me that Milgard was not very good, and would not stand behind their warranty, because they would blame any problems on the installer.

One place that caught my attention was Brothers Home Improvement Inc. They make their own windows, and were very nice and straight forward when they came out for an estimate.

I'm looking for opinions on what brand windows to get, and good installers. They don't have to be the absolute cheapest, but I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. What would be a good expected price to pay for my windows and installation?

Thanks.

Joe

lagreca

#2 Post by lagreca »

I just got a quote from The Window Factory and Stardust Windows.

TWF quoted 7870 for their brand of windows.

Stardust quoted $12,000 for Simonton windows.

I'm not convinced that the Simonton's are worth nearly double the price of Brothers windows.

Anyone have any wisdom on this?

Thanks.

dj_in_oc

Windows in So California

#3 Post by dj_in_oc »

We have been looking at replacement windows for our home in Orange County. We have been impressed with what we saw in the Anlin product. Seems like the company has taken the time to pay attention to the small things as well as the big ones. The U-Factors and SHGC numbers look really good and the construction is first rate.

The salesman who came quoted an out of sight cost, then immediately started discounting it - tried the same day close discount, the cash discount ploy, etc. We will ask a couple other dealers to bid on the work and I'm sure we will find a competent one that also gives us an honest quote from the outset.

So product -> thumbs up, dealer -> thumbs down

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

TWF has a bad reputation. Anlin is a great window made in Clovis, CA. Nice construciton. Make a retofit window and make it well. They used to be the Certainteed manufacturing plant until the owners went out on their own.