Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Getting rid of mold before window install
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:41 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 pm
Posts: 3
Location: LODI, CA
Offline
I'm going to be getting retro fit replacement windows put in, and my concern is that I have some noticeable mold in my old frame. What are the concerns if there is mold when the new windows get put in. What can I use to kill it. I keep using Tilex mold and mildew on them but there is still some visable.

Any advise?

Thanks, :)


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting rid of mold before window install
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3678
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
cbyrd wrote:
I'm going to be getting retro fit replacement windows put in, and my concern is that I have some noticeable mold in my old frame. What are the concerns if there is mold when the new windows get put in. What can I use to kill it. I keep using Tilex mold and mildew on them but there is still some visable.

Any advise?

Thanks, :)


Bleach solution is somewhat effective on non-porous surfaces. Usually a 10 to 1 solution of water to bleach. There are some commercially available fungi/mildewicides that will work better on porous surfaces like wood, etc. Other natural alternatives are vinegar, tea tree oil, and grapefruit seed extract.

You will probably never get all the staining out if it is in deep but as long as the mold is dead and removed...you are fine.


Last edited by Windows on Washington on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:38 am 

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 pm
Posts: 3
Location: LODI, CA
Offline
thanks, I'll keep spraying it.


Top
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:53 pm
Posts: 10
Offline
Actually, I prefer a 33% solution of bleach (it is what we use in my scientific labs to remove any potential hazardous materials). Although this should effectively kill the mold, it will not remove it.

You should wait about 24 hours after spraying, and then try to clean up the residue. If however you have mold that you didn't get, it will easily spore and grow back. You may want to spray all areas with potential exposure to your area of mold.

Good luck!


Top
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:04 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:50 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Offline
elisaw wrote:
Actually, I prefer a 33% solution of bleach (it is what we use in my scientific labs to remove any potential hazardous materials). Although this should effectively kill the mold, it will not remove it.

You should wait about 24 hours after spraying, and then try to clean up the residue. If however you have mold that you didn't get, it will easily spore and grow back. You may want to spray all areas with potential exposure to your area of mold.

Good luck!


I can assure you Mould(Mold) is NOT killed or removed with ANY amount of bleach. ALL bleach does is well..........bleach mold. When the bleach dries, the Mold uses the bleach as food. Just cause the mold may have lighten due to the application of a bleach solution doesn't mean the mold spores are NOT alive.

Btw---Professional Mold Abatement Contractors do NOT use any Household Bleach to remove/kill mold...at least contractors who are properly educated, insured and/or licensed in their respective state(s.)

I have learned a few things with my M.Sc in Biochemistry.

*Home Depot has a spray/Mist which is fine for Non-Professional Household Mold reduction.


Top
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:53 pm
Posts: 10
Offline
gardenpartyfish wrote:
I can assure you Mould(Mold) is NOT killed or removed with ANY amount of bleach. ALL bleach does is well..........bleach mold. When the bleach dries, the Mold uses the bleach as food. Just cause the mold may have lighten due to the application of a bleach solution doesn't mean the mold spores are NOT alive.

Btw---Professional Mold Abatement Contractors do NOT use any Household Bleach to remove/kill mold...at least contractors who are properly educated, insured and/or licensed in their respective state(s.)

I have learned a few things with my M.Sc in Biochemistry.

*Home Depot has a spray/Mist which is fine for Non-Professional Household Mold reduction.



I'm not sure why you think bleach only "bleaches mold". OK, I looked it up, because I KNOW bleach kills mold. Turns out, though, that bleach (chlorine) is not effective on porous surfaces. It would only be effective on solid, non-porous surfaces. Therefore, I guess bleach would not be appropriate on wood or drywall. You were only partially right.


Top
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:16 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:50 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Offline
elisaw wrote:
gardenpartyfish wrote:
I can assure you Mould(Mold) is NOT killed or removed with ANY amount of bleach. ALL bleach does is well..........bleach mold. When the bleach dries, the Mold uses the bleach as food. Just cause the mold may have lighten due to the application of a bleach solution doesn't mean the mold spores are NOT alive.

Btw---Professional Mold Abatement Contractors do NOT use any Household Bleach to remove/kill mold...at least contractors who are properly educated, insured and/or licensed in their respective state(s.)


I have learned a few things with my M.Sc in Biochemistry.

*Home Depot has a spray/Mist which is fine for Non-Professional Household Mold reduction.



I'm not sure why you think bleach only "bleaches mold". OK, I looked it up, because I KNOW bleach kills mold. Turns out, though, that bleach (chlorine) is not effective on porous surfaces. It would only be effective on solid, non-porous surfaces. Therefore, I guess bleach would not be appropriate on wood or drywall. You were only partially right.


Nope.

Household Chlorine Bleach DOESN'T kill mold. Ask your local Pharmacist----years of study of Chemistry and Biochemistry like myself.
Call your local universities chemistry/biochemistry dept.


Top
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3678
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
gardenpartyfish wrote:
elisaw wrote:
gardenpartyfish wrote:
I can assure you Mould(Mold) is NOT killed or removed with ANY amount of bleach. ALL bleach does is well..........bleach mold. When the bleach dries, the Mold uses the bleach as food. Just cause the mold may have lighten due to the application of a bleach solution doesn't mean the mold spores are NOT alive.

Btw---Professional Mold Abatement Contractors do NOT use any Household Bleach to remove/kill mold...at least contractors who are properly educated, insured and/or licensed in their respective state(s.)


I have learned a few things with my M.Sc in Biochemistry.

*Home Depot has a spray/Mist which is fine for Non-Professional Household Mold reduction.



I'm not sure why you think bleach only "bleaches mold". OK, I looked it up, because I KNOW bleach kills mold. Turns out, though, that bleach (chlorine) is not effective on porous surfaces. It would only be effective on solid, non-porous surfaces. Therefore, I guess bleach would not be appropriate on wood or drywall. You were only partially right.


Nope.

Household Chlorine Bleach DOESN'T kill mold. Ask your local Pharmacist----years of study of Chemistry and Biochemistry like myself.
Call your local universities chemistry/biochemistry dept.


elisaw,

I was mistaken, as is most of the general population, that household bleach effectively kills mold on non-porous surfaces. The key word being "effectively". The problem with bleach is that the efficacy of bleach goes down rather quickly when on the shelf.

Bleach will do an okay job on a non-porous but not nearly as effective a job as vinegar even will and vinegar is less toxic to boot.

gardenpartyfish is dead right on this one. I corrected my previous statements to reflect that as well.


Top
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group