Excalibur Revisited - This is unbelievable

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
mnhomeowner

Excalibur Revisited - This is unbelievable

#1 Post by mnhomeowner »

I posted originally under "I got hosed." I contracted to have 7 2-lite and 2 3-lite sliders replaced with Alside Excalibur. After a nightmare with pricing initially $6500 but now $5500, and scheduling (they didn't show up twice), the company installed what I thought was 9 Excalibur, Low-E Argon (Climatech) windows. I noticed immediately that the stickers on all of the windows had a u-rating of .48. Something wasn't right. I mentioned it to the installer, and after a long day we figured out that the company had "ordered the wrong windows." (they were just double paned vinyl windows, no gas no low-e).

In my estimation it was on purpose, but at any rate they re-ordered the sashes with the Climatech package and most of them were installed today (curiously one of the 3-lites was "broken" and had to be remade). :twisted: :cry:

Clearly there is a difference in the Climatech windows, as the coloring of the glass is different and they seem to be warmer than the previous set. Oddly the "right" windows that were installed today have no stickers on them at all, so I can't verify the .31 U rating that I was supposed to receive. These windows look great, but now I have sashes manufactured independent of the frames that were installed for the other "wrong" windows. Also, some of the screens do not fit correctly.

Bottom Line: Excaliburs are OK, but don't pay too much for them. They seem cheap to me when I open and close them, and I have no doubt there are better windows for the money. If you ordered them, no worries, they are much better than what you had before. Be careful out there and best of luck!

rmleer

#2 Post by rmleer »

As an owner of some no low-e, no argon Excaliburs I can say that if you get this (or I guess any window) installed improperly by a junk (WW) or other co. you'll regret not doing your research.
If you're in my area and probably others to, do not bother with WW unless you make them put in the contract that they will actually insulate the freaking windows.
I had read your other post but was too late to give my opinion on these windows without making you feel like I do now.

I really don't know if you can tell by the sticker between the panes but mine had some info on it.
I made some calls to find out just what I had.
I agree that they are OK compared to already leaking windows but to anyone looking into Exclaliburs, I think it's safe to say you can get much better for only a little more in cost and maybe even the same amount.

Mine also don't glide worth a crap anymore and it's only been a year.

shamu

#3 Post by shamu »

Horizontal sliders in general are poorly designed in my opinion. Most manufacturers take the frame and sash profiles of their DH windows and adapt them by using snap in or add on parts to produce their sliders. Because sliders usually are used to fill larger openings they are more flimsy than DH's and take more care when installing to ensure they operate and seal properly. Inherently, they tend to allow more air or water infiltration even if installed correctly and usually don't slide or glide very well. A casement would be a better choice when an opening is wider than it is tall or exceeds the size limitations of a DH. Screens are also something to pay close attention to on any window, as they are typically an afterthought once a window is designed.
You may want to remove your sash from the frames and look for labels on the sides or top and bottom which would provide information about the type glass or wether argon was to used. You stated that you noticed the color difference in the new glass so seems like you at least have LowE but really no easy way to tell if argon was used.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

shamu wrote:Horizontal sliders in general are poorly designed in my opinion. Most manufacturers take the frame and sash profiles of their DH windows and adapt them by using snap in or add on parts to produce their sliders. Because sliders usually are used to fill larger openings they are more flimsy than DH's and take more care when installing to ensure they operate and seal properly. Inherently, they tend to allow more air or water infiltration even if installed correctly and usually don't slide or glide very well. A casement would be a better choice when an opening is wider than it is tall or exceeds the size limitations of a DH. Screens are also something to pay close attention to on any window, as they are typically an afterthought once a window is designed.
You may want to remove your sash from the frames and look for labels on the sides or top and bottom which would provide information about the type glass or wether argon was to used. You stated that you noticed the color difference in the new glass so seems like you at least have LowE but really no easy way to tell if argon was used.
Alside doesn't make a IGU with Low-e and without argon so I wouldn't worry about that.

You comments on the slider efficiency are dead on in this case.

You should be able to pull a serial number and confirm the low-e.

gailbird

#5 Post by gailbird »

Windows on Washington wrote:
shamu wrote:Horizontal sliders in general are poorly designed in my opinion... Inherently, they tend to allow more air or water infiltration even if installed correctly and usually don't slide or glide very well...
... Your comments on the slider efficiency are dead on in this case...
What about in the case of Soft-Lite Imperial LS? I haven't confirmed yet that this window even comes as a slider, but if it does, it's what I thot I wanted. Sounds like a plan I should rethink quickly.

TIA, gail