Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: does the argon gas disappear?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:30 am 

I was told my a window rep that the air in the spacing in a window is just as good as the gas because over a couple of years the argon gas disappears especially in the hotter climets (i'm in FL). Does anyone agree or disagree? The window he is proposing is manufactured by CWS (Custom Window Systems Windpact Plus Window) which has air in the spacing and does not have an option for the argon gas. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: does the argon gas disappear?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:09 am 

gpzelcs wrote:
I was told my a window rep that the air in the spacing in a window is just as good as the gas because over a couple of years the argon gas disappears especially in the hotter climets (i'm in FL). Does anyone agree or disagree? The window he is proposing is manufactured by CWS (Custom Window Systems Windpact Plus Window) which has air in the spacing and does not have an option for the argon gas. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Shocking that he would suggest that given that he doesn't have that option.

He is wrong. There are certainly established gas leakage rates, however, depending on the efficacy of the spacer system, the gas will leak at such a slow rate that it will last for 20+ years.

Also, argon does add to the efficiency of the window when compared to air alone. Some estimate around 20%. Granted it is more beneficial in colder climates, increases in efficiency will still pay dividends in your situation as well.

Post subject: argon gas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:15 am 

Thank you

Post subject: avoid them?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 am 

So would you avoid a window that had air?

Post subject: Re: avoid them?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:02 pm 

gpzelcs wrote:
So would you avoid a window that had air?

Not necessarily, however, argon is a much better choice and I would avoid a salesman that doesn't tell the truth or know the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:03 pm 

thank you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:36 pm 

Windows on Washington wrote:
gpzelcs wrote:

He is wrong. There are certainly established gas leakage rates, however, depending on the efficacy of the spacer system, the gas will leak at such a slow rate that it will last for 20+ years.

Also, argon does add to the efficiency of the window when compared to air alone. Some estimate around 20%. Granted it is more beneficial in colder climates, increases in efficiency will still pay dividends in your situation as well.

I have read info which states 5-10 years is more likely the time Argon or Krypton will stay sealed in ANY window.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm 

Then what? Do they not perform as well or is maintenance required to have them refilled if that is even possible? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:33 pm 

gardenpartyfish wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:
gpzelcs wrote:

I have read info which states 5-10 years is more likely the time Argon or Krypton will stay sealed in ANY window.

Post that info up if you remember where it was from.

There are some spacer systems that are very effective and I also think that the spacer performance and sealing effectiveness depends largely on the IGU type, temperature it is subjected to, and the window build quality.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:21 pm 

Here is Cardinals take on Argon in their glass units

website
www.cardinalcorp.com/data/tsb/ig/IG02.pdf