Just had Simonton 9800's installed in Houston

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Getteau

Just had Simonton 9800's installed in Houston

#1 Post by Getteau »

I just had 21 aluminum, single pane windows replaced by Ultra Windows and couldn’t be more pleased. After looking at Gulf Cost Windows, Amazing Siding Renewal by Anderson, Lowes and Home Depot, I went with Randy and his crew and they did an incredible job. We choose the Simonton 9800's with upgraded support in the frame and super spacers. They also replaced the alarm sensors as part of the install which was going to cost me additional with everyone else I talked to. I've only had them a week, but I can already tell that the temperatures in the house have pretty much normalized and my one hot room is no longer hot and my cold room is no longer cold. I’m actually about to turn the thermostat up because it seems like the AC is working better and the rooms are actually colder than before. I can still hear some road noise when people drive by the house, but it seems to last for a shorter period of time compared to the single panes.

I just want to thank everyone in the forums for all the info I was able to gather during the process.

Thanks,
Rich

Mark WW

#2 Post by Mark WW »

Hey Rich, Now that's it's been a few months I was wondering if you still love your windows? I'm considering buying these but it would be nice to hear some more feedback about them.
Thanks,
Mark

Getteau

#3 Post by Getteau »

Too Funny. I was actually thinking about posting a one month out update today and didn’t get the chance.

At one month out, I’m still really happy with the windows. Both the wife and I think they look great and everyone that has come into the house says they look awesome.

On the temperature front, they definitely have made a difference. Last night, the temperature dropped into the low 50’s (Brrrrrrr, I thought I was going to have to light a fire in the fireplace :D ). With the old windows, the house would have probably dropped from the mid 70’s to the mid/low 60’s. When I got up this morning, the house had only dropped to 73. So we definitely aren’t getting the cold through the windows like we were before. On the flip side, I have three windows in our den that get hit by the afternoon sun. In the past, you couldn’t sit/stand within 5 feet of those windows in the afternoon without being broiled by the sun. Today, I can sit/stand within a foot of those windows and I can’t fell any heat.

Rich

chelsea

Re: Just had Simonton 9800's installed in Houston

#4 Post by chelsea »

Hi,

How do you like your Simonton's now that we're sweltering in July? We are looking for new windows, and after finding out that the Reliabilts aren't sold in TX, we're looking into the Simontons. Also, the installer quoted a different warranty than the Simonton website - do you recall what your warranty and window model were? Thank-you for your help!

Getteau

#5 Post by Getteau »

Still going strong. I spent most of yesterday in my one room that used to be super hot and didn't notice any heat coming through the window.

I'll have to dig up the quote to get the specifics on the model and warranty, but off the top of my head, they are the Simonton 9800's with aluminum reinforcement in the frame, double strength double pane glass, 1" separation between the panes and super spacers. Most are double hung oriels and we also have a round top and two picture windows. I believe the warranty from Simonton is their regular warranty on the 9800’s with double strength glass and super spacers. I don’t remember the timeframe for the Simonton warranty, but I remember it covers accidental glass breakage. I seem to remember the 9800’s having a different warranty from the 5500’s. We looked at both and after you added the super spacers to the 5500’s, they were more expensive than the 9800’s. Ultra has a lifetime warranty on the install.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Did you get the 366 glass or the 272 glass?

Getteau

#7 Post by Getteau »

OK, I just looked at my paperwork and I believe I have the Sensor Glass package. So based on the brochure, it's a limited lifetime warranty on the window and limited lifetime warranty on glass breakage (instead of the normal 20 year glass breakage warranty).

tkdfans

#8 Post by tkdfans »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm also in Houston in a 30-yr old 3800' home with $650+ elec bills with thermostat at 77+, not comfortable. I have quotes from Gulf Coast Windows and another company and the sticker shock ($900-$1100 per window installed) was worse than the electric bill. Can you please share a ballpark idea on your cost with Ultrawindows? About the same, less, more? Much appreciated-

I've heard markup on these products is as much as 400%. Hard to justify when the investment will not pay for itself in less than 20 years.

-sweating in Cypress

Getteau

#9 Post by Getteau »

No problem. I had major sticker shock after my Renewal by Anderson and Gulf Coast quotes(32K and 28K). I think Home Depot wanted 17Kish. However, my HD guy had only been on the job about a month and I had this feeling I would end up with a much higher quote when the person came out to do the actual measurements. All three would have probably cost me another 3K on top of their quotes to get a company to come out and fix the alarm contacts. Ultra came in the lowest at a little under 11K (about $525/window ) and that also included replacing the alarm contacts on all the windows. Based on everything I’ve read, $550 to $600 per window is a pretty reasonable number.

Getteau

#10 Post by Getteau »

I just wanted to give an update and say that these windows were awesome during hurricane Ike. The highest wind gust I saw on TV before our power went out was about 80 mph at Houston Intercontinental Airport. Since I'm about 15 miles from there, we probably had the same. Even with the sideways rain and high winds, I never saw water on the inside of the house and I didn't feel big wind gusts coming in through the windows. I also heard a loud bang against one of the windows at one point in time. I'm not sure if it was a rock or a shingle, but whatever it was, it didn't do a thing to the glass.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Richard,

Good to hear that you weathered the hurricane without window damage! As you know, two miles east of you was hit very hard. :D

Let me know if you need anything, and thanks for posting here after the window change-out, it's very helpful to homeowners who are still in the process of choosing.