Mass. - Product Comparison (THD, Alsides, Schuco), Opinions

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
spigs84

Mass. - Product Comparison (THD, Alsides, Schuco), Opinions

#1 Post by spigs84 »

Hello everyone,

So in the past I've bought the Home Depot 6100 series windows for rental property and for the basement windows of my current home. Recently had a quote for 10 Vinyl Double Hung (6500 series) @$6200 from Home Depot. This is beyond my budget, given the quality comparisons that I've recently discovered online for this price point. Not going to make a 'newbie' mistake again of overpaying...

I had a private contractor (he's previously installed windows for me) quote me 10 Vinyl DH (Ideal Window - DuraWeld II, non Argon) @$2500. This seemed like a great price,but I now I understand the quality concerns of this window.

I'm prepared to spend up to $4000 (this seems reasonable given the current quotes, although open to spending more given the right level of quality) for the following type of job at my current home (planning on living here for quite awhile):

-10 windows
-3 of these are br windows are facing a major highway so noise reduction is key
-3 other br windows are facing the south, so ambient heat is a key concern
-the other 4 windows are: 3 for master bedroom/bath suite, 1 for downstairs bathroom

The current windws are all single pane with the majority having the aluminum storm windows. There is aluminum siding that is wrapped around the exterior of the windows, which I understand presents some challenges.

Based on some intense research of this site, it seems the following options also make sense - although given my location, budget, and specifics to my job - I'd like to hear from the experts regarding each of these as options worth pursuing...

-Schuco (already pinged them with an email regarding dealerships)
-Alsides (Preservation Climatech)
-Simonton Impressions 9800
-Simonton 5500

Other manufacturers that seem to have consistent performance, based on the postings here, and that I'm also considering are:
-Gorell
-Great Lakes
-Soft Lite

Thanks for the assistance, hopefully this will help others as well!

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Schuco is effectively out of the window business now.

The other brands you listed are all good. The preservation line by Alside is a Sheffield window re-badged under another name. I am not a huge fan of that window.

You will be hard pressed to get 10 windows in any of the lines that you mentioned installed under the $4000 budget.

What would the quote on that Ideal window be with Low-e/argon fill.

There is not point in putting non-insulated glass windows into your home.

spigs84

#3 Post by spigs84 »

[quote="
You will be hard pressed to get 10 windows in any of the lines that you mentioned installed under the $4000 budget.

What would the quote on that Ideal window be with Low-e/argon fill.

There is not point in putting non-insulated glass windows into your home.[/quote]

To get the Argon fill on the ideal window will cost an additional $20 per window, so $2700 total with the Argon.

If $4,000 is unreasonable given these lines, what would you expect to be reasonable? Or what would be a line to go with around this price point which would be the best value for the money?

Thanks for the help!