Advanced Window in Chicago

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
fxman

Advanced Window in Chicago

#1 Post by fxman »

Hi,

I am planning on replacing all windows in my house (20+ holes). So far I have received 2 quotes from installers using different window manufacturers:
1) Alside windows
2) Advanced window http://www.advancedwindow.biz/

Alside windows are more than 30% more expensive than Advanced windows. Has anyone had any experience with windows made by Advanced Window Corporation?

Thanks!

looking4glass

Re: Advanced Window in Chicago

#2 Post by looking4glass »

Hi,

Im also doing research on windows right now (also siding, soffit, gutters, front door). Most companies were offering more known brands, Siminoton 5500, Excaliber 9000s, and Alside.

I have a smaller company who is going to give me a quote, who believes in Advanced windows. He says he installed his 15 years ago, and has not had any problems. My friends parents put some in the front of their brick Chicago bungalow, and they have no complaints.

As far as I know, windows need to be installed right, and be of an above average quality. I do not know where advanced windows are on quality.

Let me know how it goes with you.

installationmaster

#3 Post by installationmaster »

There are reasons to sell you one brand versus another. Quality can vary greatly depending on the window manufacturer. You will have to take into consideration of all of the benefits and there are many little nuances that can make a difference. However you hit it on the nose.... Even if it is the best window in the world it doesn't mean a thing if it isn't installed properly. I would question your salesman on experience with installations and ask if there was any training background. In our industry their is licensing and accredidations that are available. As my screen name states I am an installation master through the American Architectural Manufacturing Association (AAMA). Just to be able to obtain this designation requires a minimum amount of experience. There are also glazing contracors and those who have attended workshops. There are those out there with no accredidations who are excellent installers and have many years experience and can do the same quality work, you just have to investigate them a little more.

Ask for referrals and if close enough go visit a job site they have installed. You will probably be with these windows the rest of the life of the home.... the little extra homework and research is well worth it's weight in gold.

dutch

#4 Post by dutch »

installationmaster wrote: As my screen name states I am an installation master through the American Architectural Manufacturing Association (AAMA). Just to be able to obtain this designation requires a minimum amount of experience.
Is an "installation master" different from a "AAMA certified" installer? A lot of companies claim their installers are AAAMA "certified." The problem is, they don't seem to do the installs the way AAMA recommends! Then I discovered that apparently this so called "AAMA certified" is one of those weekend courses. So they send these guys for a few hours of lectures one weekend and then lead people to believe that this AAMA certification is a big deal. I was pretty disappointed in this and AAAMA for allowing it to happen.