Okna 500 v. Okna 400

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
lilhilly

Okna 500 v. Okna 400

#1 Post by lilhilly »

I have been quoted prices for Okna 500 and Okna 400 windows (13 double-hung, one picture window). The price for the 500 is $1,500 more total. I'm aware of the differences between the two windows (foam-fill, which sounds mostly like marketing rather than substance, the connected sill, and a locking screen -- correct?) Is it worth paying $1,500 more for the 500? We will probably move within 5 years at the absolute outside, so I am assuming we won't recoup the money in energy savings.

I'm told the 500 comes with an upgrade to triple pane glass based on an Okna incentive this month. I'm not sure I want it, though, because I don't want to lose the light. We are in central NJ.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500 v. Okna 400

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same post from the other board....

The 500 series has a slightly more colonial exterior and a bit more detail in the extrusion, an accessory groove to tuck the trim coil into, a slightly better air infiltration number, and is generally more well received.

Given the numbers you have been quoted, I would go with the better window if you can swing it and that is a price that is much lower than I have ever seen. He is very close to straddling the point where the window project is being done at a loss in my opinion but if you like the contractor and the product, I would do it.

There is no difference is sill connection between the Deluxe and non Deluxe. Locking screen is kind of a goofy option in my opinion but the foam (in the case of the Okna window) does lower the U-Factor a bit. Deluxe is available in both windows.

In terms of the better window, I like the 500 a bit better and although you will not recoup $1,500 in additional savings if you are comparing the 400 and 500 with similar glass packages and energy options (i.e. triple vs. triple), I do think the 500 shows better and has a more quality look to it. This may in fact be worth the $1,500 difference in that case.

The price that you quoted from the other board is crazy and I am not sure how they can continue to sell jobs at that margin. Perhaps it is just a spiff they are running but I would wary of any company operating at those numbers for long term.

If the company is a good company, apparently they are, it is a smoking great deal.

lilhilly

#3 Post by lilhilly »

Thanks -- I hadn't seen your reply on the other board, but I see it now. Thanks again. The price on the 400 is for double-pane, not triple. Do I want triple-pane? I am troubled by the idea of losing light (our south-facing windows are completely covered by our front porch).

Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is a bit of light offset in the triple pane windows but that is such a good price, I would say go for it.

Ask them to switch to double in those openings.