Completely Clueless

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
graphix8

Completely Clueless

#1 Post by graphix8 »

Looking to replace 17 DH wood windows of various sizes with a maintenance free window in Charlotte, NC. We have had quotes from $5100 (small gc) to $29k... reduced to $16k as an introductory price (GC that wanted to install Kensington Quantum windows) I have had Home Depot (had to throw him out of the house), several GC's, Mr Rogers Windows (renewal by Anderson). After all these I am completely clueless as to what windows are good or bad. We are a young couple and plan to stay in the house until our children move out so I am looking for something that will last. Can ANYONE point me in the right direction or suggest what to look at. Right now I can't say I would pick any of the people we have had come out.

Any help is appreciated!

kellsbells

#2 Post by kellsbells »

Been there.....done that. The best way to educate yourself about windows is right here on this message board. Read as many threads as you can, even the older ones, and even if you think from the subject line that it doesn't apply to you. You will be surprised how much you can learn. Then go to the various manufacturers websites and see what features their windows have or don't have. Don't forget to look at the options. Pick the ones you like, and most of them have a link to find a dealer in your area. When you narrow down your choices come back here and see what the pros think. Then get some estimates and if you're still unsure ask the pros again for help with your decision. Also IMO the "Windows Questions" forum sees a lot more action than this "Windows Reviews" forum. I would post there if I were you. That is the best advice I can give you. I am about to wrap up my windows search and found this site to be an invaluable tool. I followed the forums and perused the websites for weeks before I figured out which windows were the best investment....whipped up an Excel spreadsheet and everything. It took a while but it was time well spent. If you don't have good windows in your house, you might as well live on a grate in a refrigerator box.

One other thing, take advantage of the "search" feature at the top of this page. When I figured out which windows I liked I did a search for each of them to see what, if anything has been said specifically about them. I did the same thing for some of the dealers that were recommended by the manufacturers' websites. I found it very helpful.

Good luck with your search.

gpm

FYI - window search - charlotte, nc

#3 Post by gpm »

Not sure if you've made a decision yet. I've been researching for several weeks now myself. (We live in eastern NC.) My sister and her husband live in Charlotte, NC and had windows installed a few years ago. I have emailed them asking again for the brand name and installer info.

So far the most important info I've read repetitively is: Proper installation is critical for any choice of vinyl window products!

At the moment, we're somewhat impressed with Gorell windows and have also heard good things about Simonton. Getting ready to do a search on this sight also. It appears very likely that there are negative comments about almost any window companies - in most cases, the dissatisfaction is likely due to improper installation.

Due to having 24 windows - we've been pretty concerned that the price varies quite a bit for the installation alone. Average is about $100.00 per window, but recently found an independent small contractor that quoted $65.00 per window, who was well recommended by a close friend. My husband could do these installs himself, but I feel there's something to be said about having a job over and done in 1 or 2 days time - particularly when the window installation will determine how soon the vinyl siding and replacement deck projects can be completed.

My personal opinion is that you should be able to obtain a decent window and installation for possibly a range of $5,000.00-$10,000.00. I think the estimates for the Simonton and Gorell brands were about $7,000.00. An estimate given for MW Windows was about $5,800.00. We are pricing the double sash vinyl replacements with double pane glass, Low E for 2 bay windows, 1 large square, and others for a total of 24 windows.

Best of luck to you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Completely Clueless

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Educate yourself on here first, then sort through the good, the bad, and the "other".