Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weathermaster Insulator vs. Bryn Mawr II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 am 

Hi,
I live in the Washington DC/ Baltimore area. Looking for basic double hung vinyl replacement windows for my 40 year old house. We are looking at 14 windows total, and a replacement patio door. I got quotes from 4 places, one of them being WeatherMaster, a Baltimore company. They have a window called the Insulator 8170, which they apparently designed and had Earthwise manufacture for them. The window appears to be pretty good, with 3 layers of low E, argon gas, constant force balances, fiberglass filled frame & sash extrusions, and the part I like best is a non-limited lifetime warranty that includes labor, is non-prorated, and includes glass breakage, and U rating of .26. The quote was $433/window, and the patio door is $1050 (for a Slocumb Industries door). Weathermaster has a good rating with the BBB and has been in business for 25 years, one of my neighbors had their windows installed by them 5 years ago and recommended them.

I also got a quote for the Bryn Mawr II that is right in the same range; only 1 layer of low E and argon gas. the quote i got was $400/apiece and the patio door is an Anderson for $1650. They would be installed by Patriot home improvement, a local company that one of our neighbors reviewed highly. the Bryn Mawr warranty doesn't include glass breakage.

These 2 quotes are within $100 of each other when you factor in the door price. all of these are installed prices, including the cladding, etc.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to which way to go. based on my unprofessional research, the Insulator seems to be a better window, but the guy might have just done a better sales job. I have at least heard of the Bryn Mawr II, and consumer reports rates it as an OK window. the Insulator seems better, and has a much better warranty, but I haven't heard that many great things about Earthwise.

Should I keep looking? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Weathermaster Insulator vs. Bryn Mawr II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 am 

Between those two...Bryn Mawr.