Vytex vs Alside

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Dimonte

Vytex vs Alside

#1 Post by Dimonte »

I recently got a quote for Alside windows 14 double hung and 1 bay window $12K. This is the Sheffield version. I have a contractor friend that recommends Vytex (No Quote Yet) Anyone know if 12K is out there and which window is better?

Windows on Washington

Re: Vytex vs Alside

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can I say neither?

Both are mid grade windows at best and at the price that you have quoted you can get a much better window.

jsmomo

#3 Post by jsmomo »

i have to agree with wow there isnt a vytex or alside window worth almost a $1000.00 per window.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

jsmomo wrote:i have to agree with wow there isnt a vytex or alside window worth almost a $1000.00 per window.
I don't read it as almost $1000 per window. He said 14 DH AND a Bay window for $12000. Depending on the size and options on the Bay it could cost $4000 alone. That would leave 14 DH for $8000 which would be about $560 per window. Very much within a reasonable price range for Alside Sheffield.

I do agree there are better windows available in that price range.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

That number was originally posted as 17K, not 12K if I remember correctly. That, or I was transcribing from another post.

Even at $560...I would go with another window.

jsmomo

#6 Post by jsmomo »

i missed the bay in his post sorry either way im not a fan of any alside or vytex window.

topher0524

#7 Post by topher0524 »

I was curious as to why the majority of folks reponding to posts say the windows asked about aren't worth the money, but rarely offer any info on windows that may be a better choice. Is it a location thing? I'm also looking at replacing windows and alside seemed to be a good price and decent quality. After searching the forums it seems consensus is it's only mid-grade. On comparison to what?
Sorry for hi-jacking this post.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is difficult to offer information without appearing biased and self-promoting. That is why I, and most of the other industry professionals in here, are vague with our recommendations.

Other good windows are:

Simonton
Soft-Lite
Okna
Sunrise
Gorell

topher0524

#9 Post by topher0524 »

That makes sense, but its a little hard to gauge what a good window is if you've never installed them before or have had to replace windows.
Thanks though for throwing a few names out there. It will at least expand the search.