Vinyl windows in New Jersey?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
zhoud

Vinyl windows in New Jersey?

#1 Post by zhoud »

I am thinking of replacing all of the wood, single pane windows in my house because of deterioration and rotting. I just got quotes from 4 contractors, they all said the same thing: it is better to replace rather than to fix; in addition, 10 of these which are too bad to fix anyway. Here are the quotes I got.

One contactor suggested renewal by anderson, but the price is too expensive for 28 windows; I don't remember the name of the company, but he promised to send me a details quote with specs, which he never did.

Another contractor gave me a quote for $6000 on all 27 windows, he didn't want tell me the brand of the windows, I think $6000 is too cheap to believe.

The third contract was out of consideration, they carry the same brand as the fourth contractor, but with lower specs and much higher quote.

The fourth contractor was quite a guy from Install America, he said they carried their own windows, "America's Window Authority". Anyboday heard of the companies? Here are some specs of the windows, vinyl composite, triple pane, double hung with heat mirror; their lifetime warranty are quite attractive, they say the lifetime warranty is lifetime coverage for almost anything even include life time accidental glass brokage, and it is transferable to the next home owners and claim to reduce energy cost by 35%. He gave me a quote of $16599 for 28 windows and 1 sliding patio doors. I think this is decent, but I have been searching for reviews of the companies for a while, can not find any. Did anybody have experience with the company and their windows? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?

I just joined the forum, it seems that Simonton and Schuco are quote frequently recommended . Any suggestions on good contractors in centrial New Jersey carrying these brands as well? I am thinking about more quotes.

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl windows in New Jersey?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are a couple of highly regarded contractors in the NJ area that frequent this board. Search around a bit more and I am sure you can track them down. The Simonton window is well regarded and for good reason. While I doubt that you will save 35%...you will be more than comfortable.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

Familyof7 wrote:You should call The Home Depot. They install Simonton windows and offer a lifetime transferable warranty. 1-800-homedepot. A Free estimate and the pricing is very competetive.
HD is a rip-off! You can purchase the Simonton Reflections 5500 or the Prism Platinum which are essentially the same as the Simonton 6500 HD sells, for 10-20% less from a local Simonton Dealer. You will very likely get a much higher quality installation from a local dealer than risk getting one of the hacks working for HD.

zhoud

#4 Post by zhoud »

Skydawggy wrote: HD is a rip-off! You can purchase the Simonton Reflections 5500 or the Prism Platinum which are essentially the same as the Simonton 6500 HD sells, for 10-20% less from a local Simonton Dealer. You will very likely get a much higher quality installation from a local dealer than risk getting one of the hacks working for HD.
Do you have any recommendations on any local Simonton Dealer in central New Jersey? Such as phone numbers and contact information?

Many thanks,

zhoud

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Go to http://www.simonton.com and enter your zip code after clicking on the "where to buy" link. You will get some dealers and some distributors. If all it shows for your area is distributors, call one of them and ask for a dealer recommendation.

zhoud

#6 Post by zhoud »

Thanks for all the information, I have just found a couple of local dealers, and ready to get a quote from them.