Alside vs. Gilkey vs. Champion

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
miamigirl

Alside vs. Gilkey vs. Champion

#1 Post by miamigirl »

Hi everyone! I've been reading the posts, and it looks like I could receive some good information if I actually ask the question so I'm giving it a shot. I'm replacing the original, aluminum windows in my home. I've been in the for only a year and have already figured out I'm in desperate need! I would love any opinions/information you have on:

-Alside (UltraMaxx)
-Gilkey
-Champion

I'm looking for info on performance, energy efficiency, service, warranty, design, etc. I've had all companies out and I understand everything they've told me and I've looked up myself, but I'm still interested in some independent consumer reviews/opinions. I've already ruled out Primax due to the look of the window (very thick frame, not much glass area) and pushiness/overselling on the part of the sales guy.

I'm in Cincinnati.

Thanks in advance!

JScott

Re: Alside vs. Gilkey vs. Champion

#2 Post by JScott »

Every window has its pluses and minuses. If you post in the main area you should get more responses. Many of us here will have some bias towards products that have worked well for us or against other companies for any giver number of reasons, some ligatimate(sp?) and some are not. Some windows work well in some areas of the country while others do not.

Why don't you explain more of your situation, the homes exterior, your budget, colors and options to help us out. How long are you going to be in the home and other considerations to help you get the most bang for your buck.

I service your area for medium to large projects but it is policy on this board not to try and get leads but provide helpful information. I am aware of your environment and will try to help. I am biased toward Infinity from Marvin, Soft-lite, Gorell and a few wood products because I offer these. BUT, I sought these products out as offerings(except the Infinity, they souught us) due to quality. I do not believe Okna and some of the other brands discussed here are available in you area.

If you have single pane aluminum then I can say with 100% certainty that replacing your windows should be at the top of your home improvement list for Cincy.

You should visit energystar.gov for general info and specific info on the federal tax credits and also dsireusa.org to see if any state tax credits are available for you. Kentucky has some yet Indiana does not.

http://dsireusa.org/library/includes/in ... &ee=1&re=1

gd714

#3 Post by gd714 »

I have been installing windows for 30 years and have installed just about all types. I now sell Alside Ultra-Max because I beleive the quality is better than any other vinyl window on the market including Simonton.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Once again, as I referenced in a previous post, you are mistaken.

What is the air leakage rate on the UltraMaxx ? 0.10 with a pocket sill is not that good. What happens when those weep holes get plugged?

Its Ultramaxx BTW.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This is not meant as an insult so don't take it that way, but... If you really think Ultramaxx is the best quality window on the market then you need to spend some time here reading a few years worth of posts and get yourself better educated on windows. There are scores of windows with better design and better performance numbers.
I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

miamigirl

#6 Post by miamigirl »

So am I hearing that Alside UltraMaxx isn't a good window? I'm not looking for top-of-the-line, but I don't want something that I'm going to have to replace or fix again in a few years...

JScott, I've never heard of any of the windows you've mentioned...

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Miamigirl,

If you are actually in FL, more importantly Miami, you will have a whole other layer of qualifications that your windows will need to meet that neither of those two lines can.

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

Miamigirl,

How many Lexus commercials do you see?
How many Kia commercials do you see?

The lower end products always advertise more it seems. The options you desire will be a big part of matching a product. I don't advertise in your area but run the leads given to manufacturers as well as provide any service that may be needed. You have 4 manufacturers in your area so they dominate the advertising. Western Hills used to sell alot of the Gorells and Marsh carries the Infinity.

The alside products tend to leak air with age so that in 5-10 years you may be in the same boat you are now. All windows perform well the first couple of years and the good housekeeping seal is only good for 2 years. Glad you are thinking long-term. We are on the same page.