Totally bewildered

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
cygnusx3

Totally bewildered

#1 Post by cygnusx3 »

We have an upscale home in northwest Indiana about 35 miles from Chicago with downscale windows. They are currently crankout windows which we always hated but never seem to be able to avoid in the homes we have purchased. There are 29 windows, many of which have broke mechanisms to open and close, some with the seals broken in the double panes, and all of which are very hard to clean.

The biggest problem is that many of these windows are very tall but narrow. For this style, I can see why the previous owners went with crank-outs. If they were replaced with double hung windows, the sash would make a line right through the center of the viewing area. I just cannot visualize how to resolve this.

Complicating the matter is that we would like to sell but we way, way, over improved the property meaning that there is no way we will get the amount of money out of a sale as we put in even if the housing market were not in the sad shape it is in. But my wife is sure that unless we replace these windows that problem will be exacerbated.

Anyone have any constructive advice to someone who already knows he has done everything wrong already?

Skydawggy

Re: Totally bewildered

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

If you have decided to replace the windows, you might want to consider an Oriel. That's a double hung that you can order in a 40/60 or 60/40 configuration instead of a 50/50. The other configuration would be to install a picture window on top and a casement below it. That would reduce the size of the casement and add less stress to the crank mechanism. Or you could install an awning window either over or below the casement.

Make sure you purchase a quality window with a good materials and labor warranty and get a high quality installation.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Totally bewildered

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are serious about selling then I would not replace the windows.
I would pay someone to give me a spec bid to replace the windows and have it as preparation if the windows become a sticking point.
Also get a quote to reglaze failed seals and replace broken hardware.