Gorell vs Vinyl Kraft - are they even in the same league?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
dtownjbrown

Gorell vs Vinyl Kraft - are they even in the same league?

#1 Post by dtownjbrown »

Ive heard good & bad things about Gorell but I havent heard ANYTHING about Vinyl Kraft. Im hoping some of the vets on this board can chime in on if the two are even comparable. It looks like they've both been in business for "approximately" the same amount of time (Gorell in 1994 & Vinyl Kraft in 1991) but it appears that Gorell took over a different company and kept the same workers so their "experience & expertise" is longer than that. I want to compare apples to apples so I got quotes on both of Gorell's double hung windows (5100 & 5300 series) as well as all three of Vinyl Kraft's double hung windows (Legacy, 5500 & TrustGard). Im neither here nor there in regards to the "look" of each company's windows but I can get all the "bells & whistles" on the top-of-the-line Vinyl Kraft window (i.e. wood grain interior, super spacer, matching grids) for about the same price as the bottom-of-the-line Gorell window (all white, intercept spacer, no grids)

So, Im wondering......is the Gorell window just a more costly choice or is the Vinyl Kraft a "lower-grade" window? What should I look at in terms of frame, construction, glass, etc to help me determine how they are similar and/or different? Thanks in advance :-)

windowdude

Re: Gorell vs Vinyl Kraft - are they even in the same league?

#2 Post by windowdude »

From VK's website...looks like their frames and sashes are screwed together, not welded. Getting welded frames and sashes is listed as being an option. If you go with VK, get that option.

I don't know much about VK other than what's on the site, but I really don't think you can go wrong with the Gorell 5300. I believe Gorell has been around a lot longer than 1994. I think it may have passed hands a couple times through the years, but has remained intact. They're a good company.

What are some of the bad things you've heard about Gorell?