Chosing Windows in NJ

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
nildip007

Chosing Windows in NJ

#1 Post by nildip007 »

First time Window buyer, so I need some help. Some of the windows which the previous owner replaced having broken seals and some that have water damage because water is entering through the windows. After getting some advice and having several people over for window quotes, here is where I am at:

1) Pella (installed by Pella) - Encompass (replacement windows including new sills)
Double hung (no grids) - 13 windows $8,132 ($627 per window)
3 Lite Sliders for the same windows $6862 ($527 per window)

2) Alco Windows (manufactured and installed by them) - Replacement windows Platinum Series 7000, Low E with soft coat double silver base guardian glass, argon gas, cap where necessary, silicone gel caulk
Double hung with grids 13 windows $5200 ($400 per window)

3) Had Sears over and we had them leave after the first hour since the guy kept talking about stuff that wasn't important to us and kept selling why we need windows. He was annoying so I told him we don't have time, just give us a quote, he said he couldn't and had to go through his 2 hour presentation. I said I dont have time and I'll reschedule when I have time. Horrible, never call Sears for windows.

4) Private contractor installing Simonton ProFinish Brickmould 600 Series (Low E 366 glass) - New Construction windows. The job includes removing siding and installing new windows with flanges to provide a water tight seal and self flashing with new channels. Currently what we have in the exterior is caulking with silicone.
Double hung with grids 16 windows - $9313 ($582 per window)

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Bill

Re: Chosing Windows in NJ

#2 Post by Bill »

If you choose Simonton I would use the Reflections 5500 with the integral nail fin; it’s a sturdier product and it qualifies for the Energy Tax Rebate without any glass upgrades. I would not want Low-e 366 in New Jersey it’s a bit too dark.

nildip007

#3 Post by nildip007 »

Thanks for you response. I see that the 5500's are a replacement window. I am so confused as to do I need replacement windows or is it better to go with the new construction windows for the price. When you say the glass is dark do you mean that it is tinted?

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

The 5500 has only been available as a replacement window for years but last year Simonton introduced the 5500 with an integral nail fin and J channel so the window can be used for new construction. It is a better quality window compared to the Pro-Finish, its the old you get what you pay for.

You wrote that the contractor recommended the Pro-Finish window so I assumed you need a new construction window; usually the job can be done with new construction or replacement but I have no way of determining what is the best application.

The Low-e 366 makes the glass appear tinted and lowers the solar heat gain. In New Jersey it’s better to a have a solar heat gain that is a bit higher. The standard ProSolar low-e from Simonton is a better balance for our climate and not as dark.

nildip007

#5 Post by nildip007 »

Thanks so much again for the information. I just checked with my contractor and questioned him on the information you mentioned and he said that brickmould 600 is their newest model so I pushed back and said that I have heard that the reflections 5500 are a better quality window. So he will check with his salesman and get back to me on that.

Regarding the glass he said that the only way to qualify for the energy tax credit is to go with the low-e 366 glass since it meets the requirements for staying below the u-factor and sghc of .3. He said that the tint is hardly noticible. That is odd that simonton only makes 1 glass which qualifies for the tax credit.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

The BM 600 is Simonton’s latest product buts it’s still in the Pro-finish line and inferior to the 5500 and in fact the BM 600 double hung does not qualify for the tax rebate no matter what you do to it. See below

36" (O) X 52" (O) (3044) ProFinish Brickmould 600 White Double Hung; Rough Opening Size; BM; Colonial All White Flat (2V1H); Supercept; Low E 366; Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Full Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two White; Plain (UI=88"); DP:35; Test Number=73035.01; U-Factor:.33; SHGC:.21; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

Here is the 5500 with the nailing fin and grids, it qualifies without upgrading the glass. Without the fin you need to upgrade the 5500 to Super Spacer and Low-e 366 is not required

36" (O) X 54" (O) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Rough Opening Size; IntJF; Colonial All White Flat (2V1H); Intercept; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock (UI=90"); DP:25; Test Number=91634.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s):

We distribute Simonton Windows and the thermal information above is directly from their order entry system and up to date.

nildip007

#7 Post by nildip007 »

Thanks Bill I would have never known all this. I am going to push back on the contractor with this information. I tried to look on nfrc for ratings and it is very confusing because you have to know the exact model number to get the exact u factor and sghc. I even went on the simonton site on their performace data but there are so many different options in their pdf file. How can I verify the window that he is giving me is the exact u factor and sghc that he says it is, do they come with the nfrc label that tells you the information when they are installed?

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

Yes the thermal data is on the NFRC label of every window.

If you are looking for double hung windows that meet the Energy Tax Rebate criteria you will not find it in the ProFinish Line. The casements, awning windows and fixed lite windows are the only windows that will qualify.

The Reflections 5500 and Impressions 9800 along with the Prism Platinum, Generations and Polar Wall all have several double pane and triple pane glass systems that meet or exceed the ETC criteria.

nildip007

#9 Post by nildip007 »

So if we were to go with the window you specified (obviously the size will vary) that would be a good buy for the same price installed (approx $550 a window)?

36" (O) X 54" (O) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Rough Opening Size; IntJF; Colonial All White Flat (2V1H); Intercept; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock (UI=90"); DP:25; Test Number=91634.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s):